Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shimomura Won the Nobel In Chemistry Because

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2
    I'm really really sick of seeing all these biologists win the nobel prize in chemistry.

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The previous year it was surface , that was some what of a reassurance. But hey , you are going to win a prize if you have a lab in the basement of your own home , and by lab I'm not referring to a meth lab. I'm referring to a state of the art - making your own GFP - lab.

Biochemistry is highly funded afterall , many inorganic chemists go for biochemistry.

5. Oct 8, 2008 #4
    I think he deserved it. :approve:

6. Oct 8, 2008 #5
    The secret is not to make your home into a lab but your lab into your home. That way you never have to pay rent.

Good on him though.

7. Oct 8, 2008 #6
    Don't forget the physicists who win it, too.

8. Oct 9, 2008 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jealous? Life is based on chemistry, so naturally you will find that a (bio)chemical discovery will impact research in biology greatly.

9. Oct 10, 2008 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...he doesn't work at a car dealership?
    Full story here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95545761

So AIG's Martin Sullivan, Lehman's Richard Fuld and Fannie's Frank Raines all retire into multi-million dollar hammocks while Doug Prasher drives a courtesy shuttle and lives on a pittance.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  10. Oct 10, 2008 #9

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do they mean by out of date ... the field is no longer valuable or that his resume is out of date?

I would not be surprised to find many other stories like this , I've heard of people who have graduated from Harvard working menial jobs as well as other people with great credentials that are not able to obtain a job due to the tendencies of industry to either outsource their jobs or to seek a candidate who .... well .... pursue the interests of the company then adhere to the standards of scientific research and progress. Because the progress of science and the progress of a company are not always the same things.

A life in science does not always lead to , even decent , financial success.

11. Oct 10, 2008 #10

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

A chemistry lab in one’s own home! There is no other possible reason for this besides illicit drug or firework manufacture.
    [/End cynical sarcasm]

Sadly there is an unpleasant truth behind GCT’s joke about the meth lab; there is often an inherent suspicion surrounding individuals with home chemistry labs, be they amateur or professional.

12. Oct 10, 2008 #11

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Shimomura's lab is built for both biology and chemistry , he probably has high tech equipment for both types of projects ... some for cutting up jellyfish and others for isolating and analyzing the protein. Also , his lab probably gets audited not to mention all of those forms and protocols for waste management.

13. Oct 10, 2008 #12
    Does anyone know how much it cost to have their very own Lab in the House?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?