1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHO ladder operators & some hamiltonian commutator relations

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the SHO, find these commutators to their simplest form:
    [itex] [a_{-}, a_{-}a_{+}] [/itex]
    [itex]
    [a_{+},a_{-}a_{+}]
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    [x,H]
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    [p,H]
    [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I though this would be an easy problem but I am stuck on the first two parts. Here's what I did at first:
    [itex]
    [a_{-}, a_{-}a_{+}]\psi = a_{-}(n+1)\psi_{n} - a_{-}n\psi_{n} = a_{-}\psi_{n}
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    = \sqrt{n}\psi_{n-1}
    [/itex]

[itex]
    [a_{+}, a_{-}a_{+}]\psi = a_{+}(n+1)\psi_{n} - a_{-}a_{+}\sqrt{n+1}\psi_{n+1}
    [/itex]
    [itex]
    = (n+1)^{3/2}\psi_{n+1} - (n+1)^{3/2}\psi_{n+1} = 0
    [/itex]

Now what I am confused about is the [itex]\psi_{n-1}[/itex] term in the first commutator. Surely there is a general form of the commutator without the test wavefunction? And I can't just drop this term and have root of n as the result. So did I do something wrong?

I tried the first part again using the explicit form of the ladder operators, in terms of H, p, x, with all of the constants. What I have gotten so far looks quite messy and involves [itex] [p,H] [/itex] and [itex] [x,H] [/itex], which I've yet to compute and are the last two parts of the problem... So it seems this route is not the easiest?

Any assistance is appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2
    Duh! The first answer is just [itex] a_{-}[/itex]

And I didnt realize you could just use the "product rule" for commutators to simplify the algebra a bit!

All set now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted