Short homework check (average speed)

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking feedback on their homework. The homework includes a table with "Time per mode of transport" and "Total time to reach final destination" calculations, as well as calculating average fuel consumption for each route using a truck, train, and airplane. The student provided their calculations in "the attempt at solution" section and asked for confirmation on their work before submitting the assignment.
Pruzhinkin

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I just want you to check out my homework before I send it off!
First of all, I attached a table in which I was required to come up with “Time per mode of transport” and “Total time to reach final destination” I included my answers right on the table in the corresponding columns, so have a look at that. Using the table I was also asked to calculate the average fuel consumption for each route considering that a truck uses 30L of fuel per 100km, a train 1.2L/100km and an airplane 3.5L/100km. I will provide the answers for that in “the attempt at solution”

Homework Equations

Total time = total distance/ speed
Simple addition/ division and multiplication

The Attempt at a Solution

16. Holland Marsh to Barrie = 30L/100km*31km=9.3L
Thorold to Toronto = 1.2L/100km*63km + Toronto to Barrie = 30L/100Km*81km = 25L
Solano to Toronto = 3.5L/100km*2279km + Toronto to Barrie = 30L/100km*81km = 104L

Physics news on Phys.org
here is the table

Attachments

• Book1.xls
    24 KB · Views: 186
Also i did not convert hours into minutes, as i finally was able to contact my teacher who said to leave it in hours!

Last edited:
A little bump, just want to know if this is correct!

Now this is coming close to its due date, please check! :)

1. What is average speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken to cover that distance.

2. How is average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Average speed is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time.

3. What units are used to measure average speed?

Average speed is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as kilometers per hour or miles per hour.

4. How is average speed calculated?

To calculate average speed, divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken to cover that distance.

5. How can I determine my average speed if I know my distance and time?

To determine average speed, simply divide the distance traveled by the time taken to cover that distance. For example, if you traveled 60 kilometers in 2 hours, your average speed would be 30 kilometers per hour.