Shortcut method for order 4 and above.

• Thread starter median27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving simultaneous equations with higher ordered matrices. While Cramer's rule is an important theoretical result, it is not practical for numerical work and Gaussian elimination is usually the most efficient method. For larger matrices, iterative methods may be quicker for finding an approximate numerical solution. One person has been experimenting with reducing higher ordered matrices and substituting variables until it is reduced to a 3x3 or 2x2 matrix, but this method can lead to arithmetic errors and may require constant refinements. Overall, it is suggested to stick with Gauss-Jordan elimination for more accurate and efficient solutions.
median27
Is there shortcut methods for the solution of simultaneous equations when the given matrix is of order 4 and above? A more simplified technique other than Gaussian elimination and gauss-jordan method. Because when i solve orders ranging from 4 to 6, it takes me some time to finish it (30 mins and up) and barely get the right answers.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cramer's rule works for any size matrices, but it's tedious. Gaussian elimination is usually the most efficient.

Cramer's rule is hopelessly inefficient compared with Gaussian elimination and gets even more inefficient as the matrix order increases.

It is an important theoretical result, but no practical use for numerical work.

Unless your matrix has some special properties that you can use, Gaussian elimination is as good as it gets to find an "exact" solution. For larger matrices there are iterative methods which will can be much quicker to find an approximate numerical solution.

But in "real" life nobody would ever solve a 4x4 system of equation by hand. That's what computers are for - or even programmable calculators, for systems as small as 4x4.

I'm on my advanced engineering mathematics subject and we are practiced to perform the calculations manually. My calculator can do the calculation but it only allows 3x3 matrices and can only be used for checking (for our professor required us to include the solution).

I've been experimenting on reducing higher ordered matrices (for fast and accurate solving) and came up with eliminating one variable at a time and substituting it to the remaining equations until it ends up with a 3x3 matrix (or atleast 2x2) then solve it by gauss jordan. But when i did the checking, my answer is not consistent for the rest of the equations other than the first one. But sometimes, it gives the correct answer.

Do you find my reducing method applicable (and only needs to be polished) or not?

median27 said:
Do you find my reducing method applicable (and only needs to be polished) or not?

You can do this (assuming that there exists a unique solution), but the chance for making arithmetic errors goes up, and you need to keep refining your matrix everytime you do this. I would stick with Gauss-Jordan elimination.

1. How does the shortcut method for order 4 and above work?

The shortcut method for order 4 and above is a mathematical technique that allows you to quickly calculate the determinant of a square matrix without going through the traditional method of expanding cofactors. It involves finding the product of specific elements in the matrix and then adding or subtracting them in a specific pattern.

2. What are the advantages of using the shortcut method for order 4 and above?

The main advantage of using the shortcut method is that it is much faster and more efficient compared to the traditional method. It also requires less writing and fewer calculations, making it less prone to errors. Additionally, it can be used for larger order matrices, which would be very time-consuming using the traditional method.

3. Can the shortcut method be used for all types of matrices?

Yes, the shortcut method can be used for any square matrix of order 4 and above. This includes both regular matrices and special types such as symmetric matrices, skew-symmetric matrices, and orthogonal matrices.

4. Are there any limitations to using the shortcut method for order 4 and above?

The shortcut method is only applicable for square matrices of order 4 and above. It cannot be used for smaller order matrices, and it also cannot be used for non-square matrices. Additionally, the shortcut method may not be suitable for matrices with a large number of zeros or repeating elements.

5. Can the shortcut method be used to solve systems of linear equations?

No, the shortcut method is only used for calculating determinants of matrices and cannot be directly applied to solve systems of linear equations. However, it can be used as a part of the larger process of solving systems of equations using methods such as Cramer's rule.