Should Apostol's calculus be supplemented with Courant/Spivak

• Thread starter capsicum
  • Start date
Hello ,
I am currently studying from the book Calculus - Volume 1 by Apostol . I am doing it as a pre cursor to studying Real Analysis by Rudin.

I am currently on the second chapter of the book. I am solving the exercises as best as I can.
My question is , while I am doing this book is it necessary to supplement it with a book such as 'Introduction to calculus and Analysis' by Courant or Spivak's Calculus. I usually don't face any difficulties in understanding the material from Apostol.

What has happened is that there has been a 1 month gap since I studied it last. And I am unable to gain the flow which I initially had with the book. This has happened because sometimes I have to refresh some of the older concepts. Should I restart the book from the beginning to regain the flow or should I use Courant's book to do those parts ?

Is it possible to approach Rudin after doing Apostol's book or one should also attempt Spivak/Courant before doing so?

Answers and Replies

My opinion is that you should study straight from Spivak's Calculus.

Only doing Apostol should be enough. Spivak or Courant is on the same level as Apostol.
If you're stuck you should read previous chapters to refresh your memory.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I agree with micromass. If you master and complete Apostol, there is no need to read Spivak or Courant.