Apostol's vol 1 calculus not as good as Stewart's calculus?

• Calculus
  • Thread starter rxh140630
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between two popular calculus books - Apostol/Spivak's and Stewart's. While some believe that Apostol's book is superior due to its advanced topics and rigour, others prefer Stewart's book for its explanations and practicality. It is mentioned that different texts can speak to different people and it ultimately depends on the individual's goals and preferences. Some also mention that Spivak has written multiple calculus books and the discussion shifts to considering which book is the best fit for the individual. Ultimately, it is suggested that the most important factor is finding a book that speaks to the individual and helps them achieve their goals.
rxh140630
Hello, all around the web and even on this website, I've been told countless times that Apostol/Spivak's calculus books are superior to Stewarts. Having personally read about a forth of Apostol's book, and having read half or more of Stewarts, I notice Stewart has better explanations, and better problems to test your knowledge of the concepts. Stewarts book seems more rigorous. How can people say Apostol's book is better?

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak is much more advanced and covers many topics absent from Stewarts.

To me, there are a couple things at work here:
(1) different texts speak to different people. It may be that you and Stewart think alike and isn’t it great to find a text like that?
(2) Stewart tends to be a great text for people who intend to use calculus as a tool. Engineers, economists, physicists, etc. While Spivak is often appreciated by those who are more inclined towards the way math is taught to people taking math degrees.

Also, I appreciated Spivak much more as a second text.

Likes symbolipoint, mathwonk, atyy and 1 other person
Folks keep mentioning Spivak. Is everyone referring to the same caculus book? Spivak has written (at least) two, "Calculus" and "Calculus on Manifolds".

George Jones said:
Folks keep mentioning Spivak. Is everyone referring to the same caculus book? Spivak has written (at least) two, "Calculus" and "Calculus on Manifolds".
Yep I was referring to the first one, Calculus, 1967

What people don't tell you . . It really matters where you want to end up:
  1. Engineer lite / non-STEM
  2. Abstract mathematics
  3. Heavy-duty STEM
    • Want the option of a solid graduate program, for example.
And how you want to get there for 2/3. Pain now, easier later? Easier now, cliff later? Or possibly better: multi-book now = less pain more work now, and easier later.

If you already worked pretty easily a quarter through Apostol, just finish it. Do some fun problems on the side.

Likes rxh140630
As others have said, and as Robin Williams' character in Goodwill Hunting told Will, roughly: " no book is perfect, what matters is if it is perfect for you". Obviously Stewart is better for you than Apostol, so you should go with Stewart. The struggle for most of us is to find any book at all that speaks to us. You have found one, congratulations! I would not worry at all that some others prefer a different book. There is also a wide variety of versions just of Stewart, my favorite being maybe the 9th edition? I also like Spivak and Apostol, but for different reasons. Stewart I found conversational and easy to learn from, especially for computational skills, whereas I thought the other two more helpful for theory, Spivak being more fun, and Apostol more "scholarly" perhaps, but in a dry way not appealing to everyone. If you want to get a PhD in pure mathematics, it will likely help to try to master Spivak or Apostol, but I am guessing that is not your goal. Enjoy!

Likes rxh140630, jim mcnamara, vanhees71 and 3 others

1. Why is Apostol's vol 1 calculus often considered not as good as Stewart's calculus?

Apostol's vol 1 calculus is often considered not as good as Stewart's calculus because it is more rigorous and theoretical, making it more suitable for advanced mathematics courses. However, for students who are new to calculus or have a weaker mathematical background, Stewart's calculus may be easier to understand and more practical.

2. What are the main differences between Apostol's vol 1 calculus and Stewart's calculus?

The main differences between Apostol's vol 1 calculus and Stewart's calculus lie in their approach and level of rigor. Apostol's calculus is more theoretical and proof-based, while Stewart's calculus focuses more on applications and problem-solving. Additionally, Apostol's calculus covers more advanced topics and assumes a higher level of mathematical understanding.

3. Which calculus textbook is better for self-study?

This ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and mathematical background. For self-study, many students may find Stewart's calculus to be more approachable and easier to understand. However, for those who are looking for a more rigorous and in-depth understanding of calculus, Apostol's vol 1 calculus may be a better choice.

4. Is one calculus textbook considered "better" than the other?

There is no clear answer to this question as it ultimately depends on the individual's needs and preferences. Both Apostol's vol 1 calculus and Stewart's calculus are highly respected and widely used textbooks in the field of calculus, and each has its strengths and weaknesses. It is important to consider one's own learning style and goals when choosing a calculus textbook.

5. Can I use both Apostol's vol 1 calculus and Stewart's calculus together for studying?

Yes, it is possible to use both textbooks together for studying. Some students may find it helpful to use Apostol's calculus for a deeper understanding of concepts and then use Stewart's calculus for practice problems and applications. However, this may require more time and effort, so it is important to consider one's own study habits and time constraints before using multiple textbooks for studying.