1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should i continue my studies in the field of physics?

1. Dec 7, 2012 #1
    I am currently an undergraduate student and majoring in Physics BS. I am looking forward to have a PhD degree in Physics and become physicist.

However, I am currently going through some financial and personal problems that probably will not allow me for now to continue studying Physics.

I have a very good knowledge of Database development/administration. I think i can easily get a job in that field to solve my financial problems. However, those jobs are full-time jobs that even make it impossible to study Physics part-time.

I am thinking about dropping out of college and get a job for now. Once my problems are solved, I continue going to college to study Physics and become physicist.

I am 21 right now. My questions is that if i will ever be able to continue my studies once i solve my problems through full-time job or should i keep a full-time/part-time studies while i have a full-time job of database development?

Is it a good idea to drop out of college when you are studying in the field of Physics?

I have very good grades in my Physics courses even my current GPA is 3.67 out of 4.0.
    I don't want to drop out of college but i have no other choice.

If you have gone through same kind of problems in your life, please share your experience.
    Any help/advice will be deeply appreciated! Thank You!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2012 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You aren't giving us a lot to go on. If your finances force you to drop out, then they force you to drop out. If it's a necessity, then we can't help you to weigh the disadvantages of leaving school temporarily against anything else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook