Can I Study Physics? A-Levels, GCSEs & University

In summary: Good luck!In summary, you can't do A-level physics without taking an entire A-level course. You may be able to do it if you take a foundation year.
blaire
I'm starting a college course in a month and I'll be studying the following A-levels: chemistry, maths, biology and psychology.

When I applied for my course I was under the impression that A-level physics would be a part of it, but I found out during my interview that it is not.

My issue is that my true passion is physics, but this is the only science course I can do in my part of the country with my GCSE grades, and for personal reasons I can't afford to drop this course and look for something else at the moment.

Will it still be possible for me to study physics in university? If not, is it likely that I can become a physicist later in life?

Physics news on Phys.org
blaire said:
I'm starting a college course in a month and I'll be studying the following A-levels: chemistry, maths, biology and psychology.

When I applied for my course I was under the impression that A-level physics would be a part of it, but I found out during my interview that it is not.

My issue is that my true passion is physics, but this is the only science course I can do in my part of the country with my GCSE grades, and for personal reasons I can't afford to drop this course and look for something else at the moment.

Will it still be possible for me to study physics in university? If not, is it likely that I can become a physicist later in life?
I don't know what to say. You either find the time to study A-level physics on your own. You can always sit an A-level exam, can't you? In that case, you might have to sacrifice something like psychology. Do you have to pass psychology to do physics at university? That said, you may need to do some physics labs and pass those modules.

Or, take another year. Get a job next year and do A-level physics in your spare time. And further maths!

Is it possible to get an A-level physics qualification without taking an entire A-level course? (As in, if I teach myself A-level physics.)

blaire said:
Is it possible to get an A-level physics qualification without taking an entire A-level course? (As in, if I teach myself A-level physics.)
As I said above, the lab work might be a problem. As far as I'm aware, certainly for an adult, you can sit an A-level exam as a private individual.

If I were you I'd talk to the physics dept at one of the universities you are interested in. See what they suggest.

Since you mentioned A-levels, I will assume you are in the UK, I recently graduated from university so I may be able to offer some advice. One thing I do know is that a lot of universities in England have a Foundation Year option, aimed at students who either did not get the grades they needed at A-Level, or students who were not able to study A-Level Physics but got good grades in their non-physics related subjects.

While not ideal, since you have to do an extra year at the start of your degree, it may be something you wish to explore if it turns out that you cannot do an A-Level physics.

From solely my own experience, a foundation year can be a great way to settle in to university life and prepare before starting your Physics degree proper.

1. Can I study Physics at A-Levels?

Yes, you can study Physics at A-Levels. A-Levels are advanced level qualifications typically taken by students in the UK between the ages of 16-18. Physics is a common subject offered at this level and is often a requirement for students interested in pursuing a degree in a science-related field.

2. Do I need to have studied Physics at GCSEs to study it at A-Levels?

It is not a requirement to have studied Physics at GCSEs in order to study it at A-Levels. However, having a strong foundation in science and math subjects is beneficial for success in A-Level Physics. Some schools may also have their own entry requirements, so it is best to check with the institution you are interested in attending.

3. What are the benefits of studying Physics at A-Levels?

Studying Physics at A-Levels can provide a strong foundation for further studies in science, engineering, and technology fields. It also develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to analyze and interpret data. Additionally, A-Level Physics is highly regarded by universities and can open up a wide range of career opportunities.

4. Can I study Physics at university without having studied it at A-Levels?

It is possible to study Physics at university without having studied it at A-Levels. Some universities may offer a foundation year or introductory courses for students who have not taken A-Level Physics. However, having a strong background in science and math subjects will be beneficial for success in university-level Physics courses.

5. What career options are available for those who study Physics?

Studying Physics can lead to a variety of career options in fields such as research and development, engineering, data analysis, and education. Some specific job titles include physicist, engineer, data analyst, science teacher, and research scientist. Physics graduates are also highly sought after in industries such as finance, technology, and healthcare.