1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I exchange my job for an internship?

1. Oct 5, 2015 #1
    I've been working in manufacturing industry for ~1.5 years starting from an assistant to a technician. Currently I am also pursing my Masters degree and I have a good opportunity to study abroad for a semester. Afterwards I'm considering some internship opportunities abroad too.
    Is it okay for me to test the waters and try different production industries even if it means quitting my job now and starting from an internship again?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2
    Difficult call for someone from the outside to make. It depends on your financial situation, so if you are able to take an internship at, I assume, a lower wage, or if this even matters to you.
    Also starting at the internship level again might throw you into the type of work, at least at the beginning, you don't want to be doing anymore, essentially "paying your dues" all over again.
    Have said all that, go for it! 1.5 years is nothing, and broadening your overall knowledge base can only benefit you in the long run.

4. Oct 6, 2015 #3
    The company I'm in is one of the best I could find locally but I'm curious about other high brand international production companies. I've learnt that you really need to be smart/lucky/hardworking to succeed in corporate business. It is demanding to the point at which I have to give up on my free time if I do want to climb up. I'm still young and I could see myself taking after that corporate mentality but now I have doubts and contemplate every day if the sacrifice is really worth it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook