1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which US company internship should I pick?

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1
    I'm an Industrial Engineering graduate currently enrolled in Manufacturing Engineering master studies in Europe. I have an opportunity to seek for internship in US. Don't have any particular strengths, just been working in tobacco manufacturing for a year.

I guess my determinants are:
    1. Salary (only paid internships, the higher the better)
    2. Opportunities within the industry (international recognition, career perspectives)
    3. State (interesting people, beautiful environment)

Once I have some idea, I will be able to target chosen companies specifically.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2015 #2
    The one you get an offer for is usually a safe bet

4. Aug 12, 2015 #3
    I could apply for a prepared list of companies but I could also give it a chance to go for the ones of my choice. It's just that there're so many advertisements all over the states that I need to somehow narrow down my choice.

5. Aug 12, 2015 #4

analogdesign

Science Advisor

At this point in your schooling you're better off focusing on the opportunity first, salary and location second. Try to get a high-visibility position where you are doing real work and can make connections. Also, if it is at a company that hires its interns after graduation, this is a good opportunity for "try-before-you-buy".

A meaty internship can be a great way into a first job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook