Should I try for this paid Data Analyst internship?

In summary: I thought that the chances of getting an internship were much higher than they actually are. I would definitely like to hear more about the selection process.In summary, the job entails collecting data and conducting analyses to translate into "business insights". I'm apprehensive about posting the whole job description, but basically, it's available for students entering their senior year in college who are enrolled in a program "with a focus on business, mathematics, statistics, IT, computer science, or other analytical fields". It also requires someone with the knowledge of how to apply mathematics and statistics to the job, along with some other requirements that I may not fulfill. However, being qualified for the internship isn't really the issue I'm concerned with. It's more
Eclair_de_XII
The job basically entails collecting data and conducting analyses to translate into "business insights". I'm apprehensive about posting the whole job description, but basically, it's available for students entering their senior year in college who are enrolled in a program "with a focus on business, mathematics, statistics, IT, computer science, or other analytical fields". It also requires someone with the knowledge of how to apply mathematics and statistics to the job, along with some other requirements that I may not fulfill.

But being qualified for the internship isn't really the issue I'm concerned with.

It's more like, after this semester ends, I really want to take a break. I'm really tired of work and school, and trying to get myself engaged in the latter. I don't know if a 30+-hour work-week position can help me clear my mind of school-related things, but it certainly will not help me rest. This seems like a good opportunity for me, but at the same time, I'd be too tired to do it even if they considered me. What should I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:
I don't know if a 30+-hour work-week position can help me clear my mind of school-related things, but it certainly will not help me rest. This seems like a good opportunity for me, but at the same time, I'd be too tired to do it even if they considered me. What should I do?
IMO it would be foolish to not try for it. For one, 30 hours a week isn't that much time, assuming you wouldn't also be in school. Also, the internship is paid, so it has that going for it.

You mentioned "tired" twice. Do you really plan to do nothing in the next semester? Unless you're independently wealthy or have some kind of medical condition where you're overly tired all the time (e.g., mononucleosis), this doesn't sound reasonable to me.

I guess I'm just a bit burnt out from school, or something, which is why I emphasized that I'm tired.

In any case, I guess it couldn't hurt to apply and see if I qualify for the position.

Last edited:
What are your other options?

I can't recommend planning to be unemployed with much enthusiasm unless you have other income streams or family to support you who are willing. Any stretch of unemployment also tends to look funny on your CV or resume unless you have a plan and can articulate to future employers how you were bettering yourself during that time.

Likes qspeechc
My other option is to continue working at the job I currently work at for a maximum of twenty hours a week for the summer, instead of the internship.

Last edited:
Eclair_de_XII said:
My other option is to continue working at the job I currently work at for a maximum of twenty hours a week for the summer, instead of the internship.

If the financial considerations are comparable and both meet your needs, then I would consider which provides better preparation for downstream employment. A research job in a lab would trump the data analyst position, but the data analyst job trumps food service.

What makes you think that you will be selected for the internship? It sounds like you're unmotivated and don't want to work. Why would anyone want to give you a job? I know people who would sell a lot for an internship like that. If you think they will select you simply because you meet the qualifications and send in an application, you're wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize this thread was so old ...

1. What are the qualifications for this paid Data Analyst internship?

The qualifications for this internship may vary depending on the company offering the position. However, some common qualifications may include a degree in a relevant field (such as computer science, statistics, or mathematics), experience with data analysis tools and programming languages, and strong analytical and problem-solving skills. It is best to carefully review the job description to determine if you meet the qualifications for this internship.

2. What are the responsibilities of a Data Analyst intern?

The responsibilities of a Data Analyst intern may also vary depending on the company and the specific project or team you will be working with. Generally, you can expect to assist with data collection, cleaning, and analysis, as well as creating reports and visualizations to present your findings. You may also be involved in developing and testing data models and algorithms. Again, it is best to review the job description for specific details about the responsibilities of this internship.

3. How long is the internship and what is the expected time commitment?

The length of the internship and the expected time commitment will also vary depending on the company and the specific project. Some internships may last for a few months, while others may be longer or shorter. The time commitment may also depend on the project and the workload, but most internships require a minimum of 20-30 hours per week. It is important to discuss the duration and expected time commitment with the company before accepting the internship.

4. What kind of training or support will I receive as a Data Analyst intern?

This will also depend on the company and the project, but most internships will provide some form of training or support for their interns. This may include mentorship from experienced data analysts, access to online resources or training materials, or on-the-job training. Some companies may also offer opportunities for professional development or networking. It is important to inquire about the training and support provided before accepting the internship.

5. What are the potential benefits of completing a Data Analyst internship?

There are several potential benefits of completing a Data Analyst internship. These may include gaining hands-on experience in a real-world setting, developing technical and analytical skills, building a professional network, and potentially securing a job offer or references for future job opportunities. Additionally, internships can provide valuable insights into the industry and help you determine if this is the right career path for you. However, it is important to note that the benefits may vary depending on the company and the internship experience.