Should I try for this paid Data Analyst internship?

The job basically entails collecting data and conducting analyses to translate into "business insights". I'm apprehensive about posting the whole job description, but basically, it's available for students entering their senior year in college who are enrolled in a program "with a focus on business, mathematics, statistics, IT, computer science, or other analytical fields". It also requires someone with the knowledge of how to apply mathematics and statistics to the job, along with some other requirements that I may not fulfill.

But being qualified for the internship isn't really the issue I'm concerned with.

It's more like, after this semester ends, I really want to take a break. I'm really tired of work and school, and trying to get myself engaged in the latter. I don't know if a 30+-hour work-week position can help me clear my mind of school-related things, but it certainly will not help me rest. This seems like a good opportunity for me, but at the same time, I'd be too tired to do it even if they considered me. What should I do?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

I don't know if a 30+-hour work-week position can help me clear my mind of school-related things, but it certainly will not help me rest. This seems like a good opportunity for me, but at the same time, I'd be too tired to do it even if they considered me. What should I do?
IMO it would be foolish to not try for it. For one, 30 hours a week isn't that much time, assuming you wouldn't also be in school. Also, the internship is paid, so it has that going for it.

You mentioned "tired" twice. Do you really plan to do nothing in the next semester? Unless you're independently wealthy or have some kind of medical condition where you're overly tired all the time (e.g., mononucleosis), this doesn't sound reasonable to me.

I guess I'm just a bit burnt out from school, or something, which is why I emphasized that I'm tired.

In any case, I guess it couldn't hurt to apply and see if I qualify for the position.

Last edited:
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
What are your other options?

I can't recommend planning to be unemployed with much enthusiasm unless you have other income streams or family to support you who are willing. Any stretch of unemployment also tends to look funny on your CV or resume unless you have a plan and can articulate to future employers how you were bettering yourself during that time.

Likes qspeechc
My other option is to continue working at the job I currently work at for a maximum of twenty hours a week for the summer, instead of the internship.

Last edited:
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
My other option is to continue working at the job I currently work at for a maximum of twenty hours a week for the summer, instead of the internship.
If the financial considerations are comparable and both meet your needs, then I would consider which provides better preparation for downstream employment. A research job in a lab would trump the data analyst position, but the data analyst job trumps food service.

Zap
What makes you think that you will be selected for the internship? It sounds like you're unmotivated and don't want to work. Why would anyone want to give you a job? I know people who would sell a lot for an internship like that. If you think they will select you simply because you meet the qualifications and send in an application, you're wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zap
I didn't realize this thread was so old ...