Should I follow up job applications with a phone call?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rm446
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Applications Job
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 14K views
rm446
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Hello, I'm a Mechanical Engineering grad student (got my B.S. in ME as well) and I've started applying for jobs. I've heard that it's a good idea to call the company after sending them a job application but I just can't think of what I'm suppose to say. Do any engineers in the workforce has any advice regarding this?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is not complicated. Make the phone call and ask to speak with either the hiring manager of the department in which you hope to work or maybe ask to speak to a human resource manager; tell either of these people exactly what you are interested in telling them. If you applied then say what you have applied for, express in spoken but brief manner, your interest in the position, and let the person give a response.

Another approach: say what you applied for and ask about the status of the position; is it still open, have they selected some candidates yet ... if still open and you still may be interested, express your interest.