1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I pursue a B.S. in Physics?

1. Aug 9, 2015 #1
    I am currently an NE major, but I am on the verge of switching to Physics at the start of my 2nd year.

I have received B's in Calc 2-3 and in Engineering Physics I ( a massive weed out course) 120 students started out in that class, only 26 are registered in the 2nd Engineering Physics class( a 2 part series)(60% dropped in the semester)

I have a 3.55 overall, 3.45 in NE major. If I switched to Physics my Major GPA would be 3.21. (3.9 in my Generals)

I am interested in dark matter research, for the fact that we don't know what 95% of our universe is made of intrigues me.

Do you think I should major in Physics or are my low grades a warning sign. ( I am in the Honors Program, if that changes anything)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2015 #2

faiziqb12

Gold Member

i think you must pursue your interests
    and let the grades go to the dustbin
    who knows maybe you will be the future of the world

4. Aug 9, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So you mainly had B's? Those are not really low grades. Sure, you should try to do better, but I don't think you will need to worry much at this stage. Just work hard.

5. Aug 9, 2015 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

From your other post you were interested in space exploration. It's okay to not know exactly what you want to do at this stage in life, but for your major you probably need to nail that down by the end of the 2nd year. Have you talked to your NE and Physics faculty yet?

6. Aug 9, 2015 #5
    I am interested in space exploration. Physics is more versatile, so I am thinking of going with it. With Physics I can go back to Engineering as well. What do you think? I will be talking to a Physics faculty member in a week when I get back to campus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook