Should I sign my version of a painting or not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kaleidoscope
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sign
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
kaleidoscope
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
I picked an idea from a famous painting (La Prominade by Monet), then painted it myself with several additional details (I incrporated modern day elements, dresses, buildings, landscape, etc.). It is a very different version, but it definitively resembles "la prominade". I was told by a friend not to sign it, because it is not completely my idea. I agree it is not completely my idea, but definitively I have added several new elements to it. So I am wondering, should I sign it or leave it unsigned?

Would it make any difference if the artist from the original painting were alive?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Was it from a photograph?

Read here.

http://articles.directorym.com/Public_Domain_Artwork-a951693.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
kaleidoscope said:
Would it make any difference if the artist from the original painting were alive?

Would a writer put his name on a parody of a novel? If it were a product of your creativity, then certainly sign it. Impersonation is a valid form of art. However, you would do well to credit the original artist when you name your painting.

"Deepak Chopra Descending a Staircase" by Flexible Gunship. Based on Good Penguin Ship by Will Bullas (http://fineartamerica.com/featured/good-penguin-ship-will-bullas.html)
 
Yes, always sign your work. A general rule of thumb I was always taught in art classes was 7 noticable changes and it's fair game to claim it as by you. It would be obviously respectful and even good to reference where the inspiration came from etc. but definitely not necessary.