Should I Switch My Major to Math+CS for Better Grad School Applications?

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dazedandconfu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Change Major
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Dazedandconfu
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
again, I am in a bit of a dilemma, as my screen-name would suggest lol
so I am currently in physics+CS and I am wondering if i should switch to math+CS, but if i switch to math+CS and ill have to take more logic and theoretical CS courses, which I am not too interested in, if i stay in physics+CS , ill have more space to take graduate level math courses in my field of interest (combinatorial game theory), I am interested in applying to grad school in applied math, any advice on whether switching into the Math/CS would look better on my application or the Physics/CS with more higher math courses in my field of interest
as always, any help much appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to get into a math program, do math.
 
iv already taken a lot of math courses (cal 2,3,4, lin alg. ode, pde, discrete math, probability, analysis,) and I am planning on taking combinatorics(graduate), game theory(graduate) and optimization(graduate), its just i don't have any undergrad logic, abstract algebra and theoretical CS courses, which are required for the math+CS thing, i guess I am asking if grad. schools look at the courses you've taken or at the degree,
 
Dazedandconfu said:
iv already taken a lot of math courses (cal 2,3,4, lin alg. ode, pde, discrete math, probability, analysis,) and I am planning on taking combinatorics(graduate), game theory(graduate) and optimization(graduate), its just i don't have any undergrad logic, abstract algebra and theoretical CS courses, which are required for the math+CS thing, i guess I am asking if grad. schools look at the courses you've taken or at the degree,

Yes they look at the courses but why are you even considering staying in physics?
 
because otherwise i'll have no space to take the interesting graduate courses mentioned above and ill have to take a bunch of logic and computability courses, which i don't find particularly interesting , and i don't think they'll be very useful for grad school in applied math