Should I take an extra year as an undergade student?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a philosophy major considering switching to astronomy and the dilemma of fitting in summer classes while still graduating in 4 years. The suggestion is to take an extra year and use summers for research opportunities, or to try and test out of prerequisites or take online classes. Ultimately, it is advised to take the time to make sure the chosen degree aligns with the desired career path rather than rushing to graduate in 4 years.
pryan96
Hello, I'm currently a philosophy major and I'm going to start my sophomore year this fall, but I've considered changing my major to astronomy. The problem with this is that I've always wanted to graduate in just 4 years, and the only way this could happen is if I filled up the next two summers with many summer classes. My university though offers many research opportunities during the summer, and it would probably be foolish to turn down these opportunities. There are research opportunities I can do during the academic year, but the opportunities during the summer seem like they'll be better for graduate school resumes. At the same time though, I would not be able to take any summer classes if I take part in any of them. If if don't take any summer classes, I'll have at least two semesters in my undergraduate years that I'll be taking only 12-14 credit hours due to my lack of prerequisite classes needed to take the required physics courses for my school's astronomy degree plan. Would it be better for graduate school if I spend 5 years as an undergraduate student or to take summer classes and do all my researching during the school year? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take and extra year and use the summers for research opportunities.

Likes symbolipoint
Can you test out of any of the prerequisites that you will need for the science courses required for this coming year? That might provide another alternative for getting back on track for a four year graduation and there are a lot of opportunities for online learning available from a variety of universities now that might help you to study on your own to pass them (Coursera, Khan Academy, etc...). Your adviser may be able to help you with allowing you to schedule the classes that you need on the assumption that you will pass the required tests. (Possibly also registering for the classes you would have taken otherwise, so you don't fall further behind if you don't manage it. You can always drop the courses that you don't end up in before school starts.)

Take the time, I know you may feel like you "Need" to get things done quickly. This is true in some cases but I think you might find in this case it was the better choice to take your time, do the summer research, and extend out your stay for one year. Good luck!

Barely half of all students graduate in 4 years and less than a third graduate in 4 years with the degree they entered into: http://business.time.com/2013/01/10/the-myth-of-the-4-year-college-degree/

There's no rush. Better to take an extra year or two to make sure you have the degree that prepares you for the career you actually want rather than the wrong one that you were badgered into choosing when you were 17.

1. Should I take an extra year as an undergraduate student?

The answer to this question depends on your individual circumstances and goals. Taking an extra year may provide you with more time to explore different courses and majors, improve your GPA, or gain additional research or work experience. However, it may also mean delaying your entry into the workforce or graduate school, which could have financial implications. Ultimately, it is important to carefully consider your priorities and consult with your academic advisor before making a decision.

2. Will taking an extra year as an undergraduate student affect my financial aid?

It is possible that taking an extra year as an undergraduate student may affect your financial aid. Some forms of aid, such as grants and scholarships, may have specific eligibility requirements that may not be met if you extend your undergraduate studies. Additionally, you may have to take out more loans to cover the additional year. It is important to consult with your financial aid office to understand how an extra year may impact your financial aid package.

3. Can I still graduate on time if I take an extra year as an undergraduate student?

If you decide to take an extra year as an undergraduate student, it is possible to still graduate on time. This may require careful planning and possibly taking courses during the summer or winter breaks. It is important to work closely with your academic advisor to develop a plan that allows you to meet all graduation requirements within the extended timeline.

4. Will taking an extra year affect my job prospects?

While taking an extra year as an undergraduate student may delay your entry into the workforce, it can also provide you with additional skills and experiences that may make you a more competitive job candidate. Employers often value well-rounded individuals with diverse experiences and an extra year may allow you to gain valuable skills through internships, research, or other opportunities.

5. How will taking an extra year affect my mental health and well-being?

It is important to consider the potential impact on your mental health and well-being when deciding whether to take an extra year as an undergraduate student. The additional workload and stress may take a toll on your mental health, especially if you are already struggling. It is important to prioritize self-care and seek support from your campus resources if needed.