1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I take an extra year to finish my degree?

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    I'm going to be dropping a course and I'm only going to take 4 courses per semester. 5 courses is too much for me. I can do it, but it's very stressful.

Semester 1: 5 courses
    Semester 2: 4 courses (going to drop a course tomorrow)
    Semester 3: 4 courses
    Semester 4: 4 courses
    Semester 5: 4 courses
    Semester 6: 4 courses
    Semester 7: 4 courses
    Semester 8: 4 courses

At the end of semester 8, I will have 6 required courses from my degree to complete and 4 liberals. I guess I could do the following:

Semester 9: 3 courses 2 liberals
    Semester 10: 3 courses 2 liberals

Is this kind of stupid? I'll need to take an additional year to finish my degree.

How much time is needed for a liberal? Is 1 liberal equivalent to 1 course in calculus or physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Is a "liberal" the same thing as a GenEd (general education requirement) or core? If so, have you thought about taking them during summer school? I did this for three summers, taking core courses, because I had a double major going.

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    Nothing wrong with staying an "extra" year (5 years is the average).

I'm glad I did because it allowed me to get an internship only available to current undergrads.

So I say enjoy it while it lasts and don't feel bad.

Some Liberal Arts course can be a bother since they require lots of reading and writing that you may find boring, but they are much easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook