Should I take an extra year to finish my degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter InvalidID
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Year
In summary, the speaker plans to drop a course and only take 4 courses per semester due to feeling stressed with 5 courses. They will have 6 required courses and 4 liberal courses to complete by the end of their 8th semester. They suggest taking 3 courses and 2 liberal courses for semesters 9 and 10, but question if it is a good idea since it will take an extra year to finish their degree. They also ask about the difference between a liberal and a GenEd or core course and suggest taking them during summer school to make up for the extra year. The speaker mentions their own experience with taking core courses during summer school and encourages the listener to enjoy their time in college. They also mention
InvalidID
I'm going to be dropping a course and I'm only going to take 4 courses per semester. 5 courses is too much for me. I can do it, but it's very stressful.

Semester 1: 5 courses
Semester 2: 4 courses (going to drop a course tomorrow)
Semester 3: 4 courses
Semester 4: 4 courses
Semester 5: 4 courses
Semester 6: 4 courses
Semester 7: 4 courses
Semester 8: 4 courses

At the end of semester 8, I will have 6 required courses from my degree to complete and 4 liberals. I guess I could do the following:

Semester 9: 3 courses 2 liberals
Semester 10: 3 courses 2 liberals

Is this kind of stupid? I'll need to take an additional year to finish my degree.

How much time is needed for a liberal? Is 1 liberal equivalent to 1 course in calculus or physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is a "liberal" the same thing as a GenEd (general education requirement) or core? If so, have you thought about taking them during summer school? I did this for three summers, taking core courses, because I had a double major going.

Nothing wrong with staying an "extra" year (5 years is the average).

I'm glad I did because it allowed me to get an internship only available to current undergrads.

So I say enjoy it while it lasts and don't feel bad.

Some Liberal Arts course can be a bother since they require lots of reading and writing that you may find boring, but they are much easier.

1. Should I take an extra year to finish my degree?

The decision to take an extra year to finish your degree depends on various factors such as your academic goals, financial situation, and personal circumstances. It is important to carefully consider all of these factors before making a decision.

2. Will taking an extra year affect my career prospects?

Taking an extra year to finish your degree may not necessarily have a negative impact on your career prospects. It can actually provide you with more time to gain valuable skills and experiences, which can make you a more competitive candidate in the job market.

3. Can I still graduate on time if I take an extra year?

Most universities have a maximum time limit for completing a degree, so it is important to check with your academic advisor to see if you can still graduate on time if you take an extra year. It may also depend on the requirements of your specific degree program.

4. How will taking an extra year affect my financial aid?

If you are receiving financial aid, taking an extra year to finish your degree may affect your eligibility for certain types of aid. It is important to speak with a financial aid advisor to understand how taking an extra year may impact your financial aid.

5. What are the benefits of taking an extra year to finish my degree?

Taking an extra year to finish your degree can provide you with more time to explore your interests, take on additional courses or internships, and improve your academic performance. It can also give you the opportunity to focus on your personal and professional development before entering the workforce.