1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I take 'Physics of Sound'?

1. Oct 27, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

This interim there aren't any good math/physics classes at my school, so I'm considering taking "Physics of Sound" at a nearby university.

I'm wondering if it would be worth my time/money. I want to go into engineering or teaching (either way, grad school is ahead of me). How hard is the mathematics in Physics of Sound? (I would prefer that the math is hard, so that if the concepts aren't useful, at least I will have become more skilled at solving tough problems.) How useful are the concepts? What applications do the concepts have?

If anyone has taken physics of sound and could post about their experience, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Edit: Course Description Below

"
    PHYSICS OF SOUND (Area 3.2) (4 credits)
    This laboratory course introduces students to the physics of sound: its production, transmission, and reception. Lecture and laboratory will give students the opportunity to study wave mechanics and its application to areas including but not limited to music, architecture, and human physiology."

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Without seeing the course description and prerequisites, it's impossible to say exactly what it contains, or what level it's being taught at.

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What does the course description say?

5. Oct 27, 2014 #4
    I have added the description up top.

6. Oct 27, 2014 #5
    I have added the description up top.

7. Oct 27, 2014 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

But not the prerequisites.

8. Oct 27, 2014 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

That reads like it might be intended for a general audience, and not specifically for physics majors. It doesn't even mention Fourier analysis, for example. I'd be surprised if the prerequisites were higher than the first-year freshman physics course and the associated math (basic calculus).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook