Should I use puzzles to engage my class or stick with standard problems?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Dragonfall
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
5
Should I challenge my class with interesting puzzles, or drone on and crank out answers to standard problems? Any tips?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dragonfall said:
Should I challenge my class with interesting puzzles, or drone on and crank out answers to standard problems? Any tips?

You can sprinkle "interesting" (I take it you mean Difficult) problems here and there, just not too often!. You have to consider the students need to put time to other classes as well.
 
Interested students no doubt hate the droning and would appreciate challenging problems that provide insight and interesting little problem solving tricks.

Those who are either required to take the class or are simply interested only in passing will prefer a thorough beat-down with questions similar to exam material.

Look at your audience and decide what these proportions look like an plan accordingly.
 
This is a required class, and I fear many will not share my enthusiasm.