1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing Should I worry about grades if I don't have scholarships?

1. Jul 8, 2016 #1
    I'm not really anywhere near failing in my Calculus III class, but I took my midterm today and I have the strongest feeling that I didn't do as well as I could have. Like, I don't expect my score to be higher than an eighty. This midterm is worth twenty-five percent of my grade; my final is worth another twenty-five percent. I'm basically alright in regards to the other fifty percent, but I worry still. I think that this is a sign that I should self-study calculus more (not just what was covered in class, because many of the questions didn't test us on it). As for whether this pertains to scholarships, I was asking an offhand question, about the uses for my GPA other than scholarships I may decide to enroll in.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2016 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I don't know what your career aspirations are in life but if you plan to a)Go to graduate school or b)go work for a competitive company, then having a low GPA will probably make this a lot harder for you. Finding a job after college is annoying enough, finding a job with a bad GPA is even harder.

4. Jul 8, 2016 #3
    I see... I'm studying to be an actuary, by the way.

5. Jul 8, 2016 #4

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Then I can tell you that a good GPA is rather necessary, especially if you do not have any exams completed prior to applying.

6. Jul 8, 2016 #5
    Point taken.

How should I stop worrying about what grade I'm going to get on my midterm? It's driving me nuts, and I can't concentrate on my homework. I know that letting myself worry to the point that I am unable to do my work is poor work ethic.

7. Jul 8, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't keep your grades up, you won't need to worry about your GPA, becuz you'll have probably flunked out of the course at some point.

Grades on different exams will form different proportions of your overall grade for the course. If you blow a midterm exam, that could have a serious effect on your final grade.

You should only worry about exams you haven't taken yet. You can still study and prepare for them.

The exams you have taken, well, you've gotten a grade for those, and all the worrying won't change those marks.

8. Jul 8, 2016 #7
    You have a point. Even so, I think I want to get started on my offline homework, so I don't get tempted to check every few minutes or so... It's like an obsession with me.

9. Jul 8, 2016 #8
    Thanks for all the advice given thus far. But I'm a bit confused about this (I should have mentioned this earlier):

I got the impression that taking the actuarial examinations are not strictly mandatory to enter that field of work. Am I wrong?

10. Jul 9, 2016 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This.

I think you also need to reflect on why you have done poorly. In this thread you say you don't want to learn the right hand rule because it's too hard. In this thread it was pointed out "You don't sound...willing to learn the material". This is going to be a problem going forward. While you can't change the grades you have already earned, you can change the behaviors that got you here.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  11. Jul 9, 2016 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, but good luck finding somebody willing to employ you with no examinations done.

12. Jul 9, 2016 #11

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, tragically so.

You can work as an intern to an actuary while studying for your professional exams, but if you hope to advance professionally in this field beyond intern status, you will be required to take and pass at least two actuarial exams:

http://www.beanactuary.org/exams/?fa=exam-faqs

See FAQ 2.

I had a math teacher in HS who had a PhD in mathematics and thought he was hot stuff as far as math was concerned. His brother, who did not have the same academic credentials, was studying for his actuary examinations at the time. The PhD math teacher brother was astounded at the breadth of math material which was on his brother's actuary examination.

13. Jul 15, 2016 #12
    I got a 70; first time I'm happy to receive such a low grade. I thought I was going to get something much lower.

I think the biggest problems for this midterm was that I didn't feel like studying on my own more often; the teacher tested us on things we never went over in class.

I thought as much.

My academic advisor instructs me to take Probability and Statistical Interference next fall and spring, respectively. I suppose I should study more often, in any case. I don't think I'd be ready to take those actuarial examinations right now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted