Should I worry about grades if I don't have scholarships?

In summary: I see... I'm studying to be an actuary, by the way.Then I can tell you that a good GPA is rather necessary, especially if you do not have any exams completed prior to applying.I definitely agree with this, especially if you want to get into a competitive actuary career.
Eclair_de_XII
I'm not really anywhere near failing in my Calculus III class, but I took my midterm today and I have the strongest feeling that I didn't do as well as I could have. Like, I don't expect my score to be higher than an eighty. This midterm is worth twenty-five percent of my grade; my final is worth another twenty-five percent. I'm basically alright in regards to the other fifty percent, but I worry still. I think that this is a sign that I should self-study calculus more (not just what was covered in class, because many of the questions didn't test us on it). As for whether this pertains to scholarships, I was asking an offhand question, about the uses for my GPA other than scholarships I may decide to enroll in.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what your career aspirations are in life but if you plan to a)Go to graduate school or b)go work for a competitive company, then having a low GPA will probably make this a lot harder for you. Finding a job after college is annoying enough, finding a job with a bad GPA is even harder.

Likes billy_joule
I see... I'm studying to be an actuary, by the way.

Then I can tell you that a good GPA is rather necessary, especially if you do not have any exams completed prior to applying.

Point taken.

How should I stop worrying about what grade I'm going to get on my midterm? It's driving me nuts, and I can't concentrate on my homework. I know that letting myself worry to the point that I am unable to do my work is poor work ethic.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Point taken.

How should I stop worrying about what grade I'm going to get on my midterm? It's driving me nuts, and I can't concentrate on my homework. I know that letting myself worry to the point that I am unable to do my work is poor work ethic.
If you don't keep your grades up, you won't need to worry about your GPA, becuz you'll have probably flunked out of the course at some point.

Grades on different exams will form different proportions of your overall grade for the course. If you blow a midterm exam, that could have a serious effect on your final grade.

You should only worry about exams you haven't taken yet. You can still study and prepare for them.

The exams you have taken, well, you've gotten a grade for those, and all the worrying won't change those marks.

Likes Vanadium 50
SteamKing said:
The exams you have taken, well, you've gotten a grade for those, and all the worrying won't change those marks.

You have a point. Even so, I think I want to get started on my offline homework, so I don't get tempted to check every few minutes or so... It's like an obsession with me.

Thanks for all the advice given thus far. But I'm a bit confused about this (I should have mentioned this earlier):

MarneMath said:
Then I can tell you that a good GPA is rather necessary, especially if you do not have any exams completed prior to applying.

I got the impression that taking the actuarial examinations are not strictly mandatory to enter that field of work. Am I wrong?

SteamKing said:
If you don't keep your grades up, you won't need to worry about your GPA, becuz you'll have probably flunked out of the course at some point.

This.

I think you also need to reflect on why you have done poorly. In this thread you say you don't want to learn the right hand rule because it's too hard. In this thread it was pointed out "You don't sound...willing to learn the material". This is going to be a problem going forward. While you can't change the grades you have already earned, you can change the behaviors that got you here.

Last edited:
Eclair_de_XII said:
I got the impression that taking the actuarial examinations are not strictly mandatory to enter that field of work. Am I wrong?

Sure, but good luck finding somebody willing to employ you with no examinations done.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Thanks for all the advice given thus far. But I'm a bit confused about this (I should have mentioned this earlier):
Yes, tragically so.

You can work as an intern to an actuary while studying for your professional exams, but if you hope to advance professionally in this field beyond intern status, you will be required to take and pass at least two actuarial exams:

http://www.beanactuary.org/exams/?fa=exam-faqs

See FAQ 2.

I had a math teacher in HS who had a PhD in mathematics and thought he was hot stuff as far as math was concerned. His brother, who did not have the same academic credentials, was studying for his actuary examinations at the time. The PhD math teacher brother was astounded at the breadth of math material which was on his brother's actuary examination.

I got a 70; first time I'm happy to receive such a low grade. I thought I was going to get something much lower.

Vanadium 50 said:
While you can't change the grades you have already earned, you can change the behaviors that got you here.

I think the biggest problems for this midterm was that I didn't feel like studying on my own more often; the teacher tested us on things we never went over in class.

micromass said:
good luck finding somebody willing to employ you with no examinations done.

I thought as much.

SteamKing said:
See FAQ 2.

I had a math teacher in HS who had a PhD in mathematics and thought he was hot stuff as far as math was concerned. His brother, who did not have the same academic credentials, was studying for his actuary examinations at the time. The PhD math teacher brother was astounded at the breadth of math material which was on his brother's actuary examination.

My academic advisor instructs me to take Probability and Statistical Interference next fall and spring, respectively. I suppose I should study more often, in any case. I don't think I'd be ready to take those actuarial examinations right now.

1. Should I prioritize my grades even if I don't have scholarships?

Yes, maintaining good grades is important regardless of scholarships. Grades reflect your academic performance and can impact your future opportunities, such as graduate school or job applications.

2. Will not having scholarships affect my future career prospects?

Not necessarily. While scholarships can provide financial support and may look impressive on a resume, they are not the only factor in determining career success. Employers also value skills, experience, and personal qualities.

3. Can I still receive scholarships even if my grades aren't perfect?

Yes, there are many scholarships that consider a variety of factors beyond just grades, such as extracurricular activities, community service, and essays. It's important to research and apply for scholarships that align with your strengths and experiences.

4. Will having lower grades prevent me from getting into a good college?

Not necessarily. While grades are an important factor in college admissions, they are not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider essays, extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and test scores. Additionally, there are many colleges and universities that have a holistic approach to admissions and take into account the whole person, not just grades.

5. Should I be stressed about not having scholarships?

It's natural to feel concerned about not having scholarships, but it's important to remember that there are many other sources of financial aid and support available, such as grants, loans, and work-study programs. It's also important to focus on doing your best academically and pursuing your passions and interests, as these can also lead to opportunities for financial support.