Concerned about my grades this term and future grad school

In summary, the speaker is a third-year university student who has experienced a difficult quarter due to the sudden death of their father and subsequent struggles with depression and insomnia. They have had to drop one class and are concerned about the impact on their grades, as they plan to attend graduate school in the future. They also mention plans to teach English in Japan and pursue an astronomy degree before joining the Peace Corps. They seek advice on how to handle their current academic situation and the potential impact on their future career goals.
ColtonCM
I go to a university that operates on a three quarter per year system, with 10 weeks per quarter.

This quarter started out fine, but my dad's condition suddenly deteriorated and he passed away (I was led to believe he had at least 2 years left from doctor expectations about the development of is cancer, so this came as quite a shock when I heard the news). This happened around halfway through the quarter right before midterms.

His death also created some family instability, I suffered depression and my already bad sleeping habits became worse to the point of chronic insomnia and day-time fatigue. All my classes are morning classes and I was missing most of them (including ones in which quizzes were taken).

I dropped one class to focus my energy on the other three plus my lab. I could nto take a quarter off (I'm a 3rd year and my grades/time spent before this year were all passing/adequate but nothing to brag about, and I needed to stay in school as a full-time student to maintain scholarships and graduate on time next year. Without scholarships its a done deal for me).

I managed to pull myself together in physics and biochemistry and will probably get anywherre from a C+ to A- in those courses depending on how the finals I just took went.

Calculus III is my worry. I might legitimately get an F in this class. I missed most of the quizzes after I heard news of my father (20% of my grade). My homework category is sitting in the low B range (30% of grade). My first midterm, taken right after I heard the news, is 56% (curved upward to D range), and I might legitimately fail this final meaning I"ll get an F on my transcript.

I'm no stranger to failure and bad grades. I get mostly Bs but have gotten C's as well a lot, and even got a D in Calculus II but retook it and got a A. I also have a lot of Withdrawals on my transcript. My family life is garbage and a lot of times I get sucked into depression and will have to drop classes.

I'm worried about how all this will look to a grad school. I don't immediately plan to go. In one year, after I graduate, I plan tot each English in Japan for a year since I studied abroad there and am quite fluent in Japanese, after that I plan spending 2 years getting an astronomy degree (will be graduating here with biochemisry) from a cheaper public university since I want to shift my focus to physics. After that I want to do Peace Corps for two years. So I'll be looking at applying to grad school when I'm like, 27 or 28 years old.

My question is if, even after doing all the above as planned, I have already eliminated some of hte best grad schools as possibilities for applying, simply due to grades (and possibly receiving an F this late in undergrad).

Any answer is appreciated. And I don't mind brutal honesty. I'd rather live with the truth than have someone tell me a comforting lie.

Thanks,

CCM

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to let your course administrator for Calculus III what your situation is. With a doctor's certificate and a copy of your father's death certificate, you ought to be given an exemption for the quizzes that you missed. That may put you into a position where you might be able to score reasonably in your final exam. In any case, you ought to speak to your course administrator and to your student advisor to learn what your options are according to the rules at your University. Once you have more information on this, you will need to reconsider your options.

While 1 gap year is not always a bad idea, 3 gap years will not help you to forge a career for yourself in a field such as astronomy and astrophysics. These are tough fields and you need to embark on a proper career path as soon as possible.

Remember that, working as an astronomer, you are a citizen of the world and you will have plenty of opportunity to travel and to work elsewhere. After graduating from grad school, you will probably do one or two post-docs before you become employable as an astronomer. That is the time when you can spend a few years abroad. Also, joining the Peace Corps is very nice, but you can get as much satisfaction and do as much good work by teaching and mentoring younger kids who need assistance to make their way in life. Your influence and help with difficult subjects like math and physics can do an huge amount to uplift kids that otherwise might be in a rut for the rest of their lives. You can do all of that while at grad school and during your post-docs.

These are a just a few suggestions. No doubt, others will have better suggestions for you. Weigh them up, and then decide sensibly. One word of caution: it is commendable to want to serve others in something like the Peace Corps, but you should never do those things at the expense of your career. In the end, you will eventually need to look after your own family and secure the future of your kids. You won't be able to do that adequately if you are not securely in the job of your choice.

You can always retake the class.

I would have taken the medical withdraw after the news of the loss, I would talk to your doctor and get a note saying the loss caused you mental stress and see if they can work with you for the calculus class on the material you missed.

The grad cafe has a large thread on sub 3.0 GPAs getting accepted to grad school. Its never over, but if your goal is to go into the military after school then maybe grad school isn't for you.

1. What can I do to improve my grades this term?

There are several steps you can take to improve your grades this term. First, make sure you attend all of your classes and take thorough notes. Additionally, study regularly and actively by reviewing class materials, completing practice problems, and seeking help from professors or tutors. It may also be helpful to prioritize your assignments and manage your time effectively. Finally, make sure to take care of your physical and mental health to maintain focus and motivation.

2. Will one bad semester affect my chances of getting into grad school?

While one bad semester may not look great on your transcript, it does not necessarily mean that you will not be accepted into grad school. Admissions committees will typically consider your overall academic performance, extracurricular activities, and personal statement. If you had extenuating circumstances that affected your grades, you can also explain those in your application. It is important to show improvement in your grades and a strong commitment to your academic and career goals.

3. Should I retake a course if I received a low grade?

Retaking a course may be a good idea if you received a low grade, especially if it is a prerequisite for grad school or a major-related course. However, it is important to consider the specific policies of your institution and the grad schools you are interested in. Some may only consider the most recent grade, while others may average the grades. Make sure to weigh the potential benefits and consequences before retaking a course.

4. How important are extracurricular activities for grad school admissions?

Extracurricular activities can be important for grad school admissions as they demonstrate your involvement and commitment outside of academics. They can also provide valuable skills and experiences that can be beneficial in your graduate studies. However, they are not the only factor considered in admissions. Your academic performance and research experience, if applicable, will also play a significant role.

5. What can I do to prepare for grad school during my undergraduate years?

There are several steps you can take to prepare for grad school during your undergraduate years. First, focus on maintaining a strong GPA and seeking out research opportunities or internships in your field of interest. Additionally, build relationships with professors who can provide strong letters of recommendation. It is also important to research different grad programs and their requirements to ensure you are taking the necessary courses and gaining the relevant experience. Lastly, work on developing strong study skills and time management techniques to prepare for the rigorous workload of graduate studies.