Should injuries be treated with anti-inflammatory drugs?

• Thread starter Tosh5457
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drugs
In summary, it is advised to take anti-inflammatory drugs for overuse injuries, but not for broken bones. Ibuprofen is a common and acceptable medication, but it has some unpleasant side effects.
Tosh5457
Should an injury from overuse, such as a tendonitis, be treated with anti-inflammatory drugs, such as Ibuprofen, or do they retard the healing process and would it be better to just let the injury heal naturally? I found some papers supporting they harm the recovering process of the injury:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2770552/
This one found that NSAID's harm the recovery process in some tendons, except for Ibuprofen which had no statistical significant benefit or harm over healing: http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/35/8/1326

Biology news on Phys.org
Personal experience and a layman's logic from me (not a doctor). Years ago, I suffered from tennis elbow (carrying to many full sized prints or some pencil pushing overuse of my arm). Needless to say, it was painful and I had a construction electrician tell me that his doctor prescribed him prescription strength ibuprofen to reduce the swelling (the swelling at the elbow agitates the nerve, which caused the tendinitis and pain, because the nerve swells when agitate too; a sort of positive feedback in a negative way). I had suffered for 4-5 months (and probably should have seen a doctor), but I followed my own self administered program similar to his and viola, after 2-3 weeks my elbow was fine.
So, I have to believe anti-inflammatory drugs do work. But I am a single case and not a study. However, it is considered an accepted treatment. Admittedly most drugs have some unpleasant or worse, side effects. Ibuprofen of the amount I self administered definitely bothered my stomach.

Too much ibuprofen is bad for the liver and kidneys. Anything over 1200 mg in 24 hours you need to go see a doctor. In the past, I've been prescribed 2400 mg within 24 hours for up to 3 days for severe back pain, but then I'm not a small person, and body mass is crucial in determining how much a doctor will prescribe you.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that ibuprofen is not recommended for broken bones as it interfers with bone healing. The article at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3259713/ seems to say both yes and no. (Sounds like getting advice from Elves.) "Steroids, chemotherapy drugs, and some classes of antibiotics have been reported to exert a negative effect on bone healing[15, 16]. In addition, NSAIDs (ibuprofen is one) that are one of the most commonly prescribed drugs for pain relief and inflammation to date have also been found to delay union and to inhibit fracture healing [15]." If you broke something, see your doctor for pain; don't self medicate.

I'll usually take 200 to 400 mg after a day of splitting wood by hand as my elbows and shoulders will be sore. Same for any flare ups from my plantar facitits. Ditto after a rough night of fencing because not only have I really used muscles that don't get used piloting a desk all day, I'm also dealing with enough bruises to make my torso look like I was executed by a paintball squad.

I am NOT a Doctor of Medicine. Take any advice with a pound of salt. (Or maybe not salt. Don't want to raise your blood pressure!)

1. What are anti-inflammatory drugs and how do they work?

Anti-inflammatory drugs are a type of medication that help reduce inflammation and pain in the body. They work by blocking the production of certain chemicals in the body that cause inflammation, such as prostaglandins and cytokines.

2. Are anti-inflammatory drugs safe to use for treating injuries?

Anti-inflammatory drugs can be safe to use for treating injuries, but it depends on the individual's medical history and any potential interactions with other medications they may be taking. It is important to consult with a doctor before starting any new medication.

3. What types of injuries are typically treated with anti-inflammatory drugs?

Anti-inflammatory drugs are commonly used to treat injuries that involve inflammation, such as sprains, strains, and arthritis. They can also be used to reduce pain and swelling after surgeries or other medical procedures.

4. Are there any side effects associated with using anti-inflammatory drugs?

Like any medication, there can be potential side effects when using anti-inflammatory drugs. Some common side effects may include stomach irritation, headaches, and dizziness. It is important to follow the recommended dosage and consult a doctor if any concerning side effects occur.

5. How long should anti-inflammatory drugs be used for treating injuries?

The length of time that anti-inflammatory drugs should be used for treating injuries can vary depending on the severity of the injury and the individual's response to the medication. It is important to follow the instructions provided by a doctor or on the medication label and to discontinue use if symptoms persist or worsen.