Should the Unit of Momentum Be Named After Emmy Noether?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Vanadium 50
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum Unit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
36 replies · 8K views
Physics news on Phys.org
In 1888, a committee of the British Association proposed "bole" as the name for the unit of momentum. (link)
 
That unit name is unknown in the English wikipedia. I am not sure I would trust the statement in the German wikipedia. It does not seem likely that the British Association in 1888 was unaware of a unit name conflict. In contrast, they said the uncouthness of some of these terms was put forward as a reason for their adoption, as their unfamiliarity would compel closer attention ands lead to their being easily remembered.
link
 
Last edited:
Orthoceras said:
I am not sure I would trust the statement in the German wikipedia.
I cannot see why someone would invent this. Criticizing the source is cheap, but that doesn't make it wrong.

They say that Bole was used in Denmark https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bol where it was written Bol and in the neighboring German region for farmland, and in Scottland for volume: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firlot where they wrote it Boll. A bole measured grain in England: https://www.sizes.com/units/bole.htm

However, you can doubt every source on the internet I ever could mention.

But they noted their references

A Dictionary of Obsolete and Provincial English.
London: Henry G. Bohn, 1857.
Page 233.

and also that it was proposed for momentum:

Latimer Clark.
A Dictionary of Metric and Other Useful Measures.
London: E & F.N. Spon, 1891.
 
Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Sounds like the invitation to yet another joke about American units.


So the car crashed with almost 42 ke or 42 kE? Poor Emmy will forever be associated with crashes of cars, trains, and airplanes. But a Newton is a Noether per second is funny in a way.
Football fields. Don't forget football fields. Then there's the distance from New York to Los Angeles, the length of a home run, and the momentum of a Little League fastball.
 
Last edited: