Should there be textbook based forum channels?

• Thread starter eprparadox
  • Start date
In summary, this suggestion is interesting, but it might be difficult to implement because of the volume of textbooks necessary and people's tendency to post questions in the wrong forum.
eprparadox
Hello!

Often times I have specific questions about a book I'm self studying. And I'm sure either others have questions from that book or have already studied it and maybe posted questions.

It seems like organizing threads by textbook in physics would be a great way to reduce redundant threads from being created as well as allowing a more consolidated reference for specific texts.

Is this something in the works at all?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Very interesting suggestion. One problem I can see is volume. Not only would we need to find and enter thousands of different textbooks, but I can imagine for many years not having many problems associated with the majority of textbooks.

This could be a good use of the tagging system though. However it's then difficult to standardize the tags. We could end up with 20 different tags for the same textbook. I will continue to think about it.

Hey, thanks for the quick response!

I definitely agree that there are thousands of textbooks store in your database. With that being said, it might be nice as a first version release to maybe add the top 25 that people can think of (eg, griffiths qm, e&m, taylor's mechanics, etc.)..just popular books that could be used a foundation to see if it's popular. I'll give that some more thought as well as to how this could be best organized because in an ideal scenario, you could also parse requests by chapter and whatnot but that just might not be feasible in the short term. I think I saw a github repo by someone who listed out physics textbooks in some sort of json or xml format. I'll see if I can find it. That might make it easier to import some textbooks if possible.

Thanks again!

Unfortunately, this all assumes that people will actually READ or try to find similarly-posted questions first before posting. We already know that this isn't true, considering the number of people who still post HW-type questions in the wrong forum, despite the clear and frequent notices not to post in the main forums.

Zz.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What are the benefits of having textbook based forum channels?

Textbook based forum channels provide a platform for students to discuss and clarify concepts from their textbooks. It allows for collaboration and peer-to-peer learning, which can enhance understanding and retention of material.

2. How can textbook based forum channels improve student engagement?

By providing a space for students to actively participate in discussions related to their course material, textbook based forum channels can increase student engagement and motivation. It can also encourage students to take a more active role in their own learning.

3. Are there any downsides to implementing textbook based forum channels?

One potential downside is that some students may not feel comfortable expressing their thoughts and opinions in a public forum. It is important for instructors to create a safe and respectful environment for all students to participate in the discussions.

4. How can instructors effectively use textbook based forum channels in their teaching?

Instructors can use textbook based forum channels to assign discussion topics related to the course material, encourage students to ask questions and provide explanations to their peers, and provide additional resources or clarification when needed. They can also use the discussions as a way to gauge student understanding and address any misconceptions.

5. Can textbook based forum channels be used for all subjects?

Textbook based forum channels can be used for a variety of subjects, but may be more effective for courses that involve complex or theoretical concepts. It may not be as useful for subjects that require hands-on or practical application. Instructors should consider the specific needs of their course and students when deciding whether to implement textbook based forum channels.