Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shouldn't we see faster expansion without dark energy

Tags:
  1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    I understand that before we knew about dark energy we thought expansion would have slowed down since the big bang but we then discovered the universes expansion rate to be accelerating.

My question is, surely if the universe did expand faster at the big bang we would see it expand faster the further away we looked as you account for the limited speed of light so there would be no need for dark energy (ignoring missing mass etc.)

I'm sure i've missed something or got something wrong and that there is an explanation but i just wanted it to be clarified

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Kepler, I *think* you are semi-correct. I believe when we looked out and measured lots of supernovas it turned out that galaxies closer to us were moving away faster than they should have been if the expansion had been slowing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Apr 19, 2012 #4
    So the velocity of galaxies does increase the further away you look but thats not due to dark energy

6. Apr 19, 2012 #5

Drakkith

The expansion rate itself is what causes galaxies further away to have a higher velocity. The acceleration is actually an increase in the rate of expansion. I'm not sure if "acceleration" is the correct term for a rate of something. The rate is increasing over time, which we call acceleration.

7. Apr 19, 2012 #6
    Thanks so just that I'm clear galaxies having a higher velocity is just caused by the expansion of the universe the acceleration of the rate of expansion is not connected to that

8. Apr 19, 2012 #7

Drakkith

Galaxies further away in distance having a higher velocity than those closer in distance is the result of expansion, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook