Show that ## a^{2}-a+7 ## ends in one of the digits ## 3, 7 ,9##

  • Thread starter Thread starter Math100
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Math100
Messages
823
Reaction score
234
Homework Statement
For any integer ## a ##, show that ## a^{2}-a+7 ## ends in one of the digits ## 3, 7 ##, or ## 9 ##.
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Let ## a ## be any integer.
Then ## a\equiv 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ## or ## 9\pmod {10} ##.
Note that ## a^{2}\equiv 0, 1, 4, 9, 6, 5, 6, 9, 4 ## or ## 1\pmod {10} ##.
Thus ## a^{2}-a+7\equiv 7, 7, 9, 9, 7, 7, 7, 9, 9 ## or ## 7\pmod {10} ##.
Therefore, ## a^{2}-a+7 ## ends in one of the digits ## 3, 7 ##, or ## 9 ## for any integer ## a ##.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: For any integer ## a ##, show that ## a^{2}-a+7 ## ends in one of the digits ## 3, 7 ##, or ## 9 ##.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof:

Let ## a ## be any integer.
Then ## a\equiv 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ## or ## 9\pmod {10} ##.
Note that ## a^{2}\equiv 0, 1, 4, 9, 6, 5, 6, 9, 4 ## or ## 1\pmod {10} ##.
Thus ## a^{2}-a+7\equiv 7, 7, 9, 9, 7, 7, 7, 9, 9 ## or ## 7\pmod {10} ##.
I get ##7,7,9,3,9,7,7,9,3,9## from ##a^2-a+7=a(a-1)+7## which I think is easier.
Math100 said:
Therefore, ## a^{2}-a+7 ## ends in one of the digits ## 3, 7 ##, or ## 9 ## for any integer ## a ##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Math100
fresh_42 said:
I get ##7,7,9,3,9,7,7,9,3,9## from ##a^2-a+7=a(a-1)+7## which I think is easier.
Indeed. I agree that, factoring can be easier.
 
But which is a more exact/accurate way to express this? Is it ## a^{2}-a+7=a(a-1)+7\equiv 7, 7, 9, 3, 9, 7, 7, 9, 3 ## or ## 9\pmod {10} ##, or ## a^{2}-a+7\equiv a(a-1)+7\equiv 7, 7, 9, 3, 9, 7, 7, 9, 3 ##, or ## 9\pmod {10} ##?
 
Math100 said:
But which is a more exact/accurate way to express this? Is it ## a^{2}-a+7=a(a-1)+7\equiv 7, 7, 9, 3, 9, 7, 7, 9, 3 ## or ## 9\pmod {10} ##, or ## a^{2}-a+7\equiv a(a-1)+7\equiv 7, 7, 9, 3, 9, 7, 7, 9, 3 ##, or ## 9\pmod {10} ##?
I would go even further.

We only need to show that ##a^2-a## always ends on ##\{0,2,6\}.## Now ##a(a-1)\equiv 0\pmod {10}## if one factor is from ##\{0,5\}##. That leaves us with ##2\cdot 1=2\, , \,3\cdot 2=6\, , \,4\cdot 3=12\, , \,7\cdot 6=42\, , \,8\cdot 7=56## and ##9\cdot 8=72, ## all ending on ##2## or ##6##.

This is a regular pattern: simplify if possible, and explain what you actually do.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Janosh89
fresh_42 said:
I would go even further.

We only need to show that ##a^2-a## always ends on ##\{0,2,6\}.## Now ##a(a-1)\equiv 0\pmod {10}## if one factor is from ##\{0,5\}##. That leaves us with ##2\cdot 1=2\, , \,3\cdot 2=6\, , \,4\cdot 3=12\, , \,7\cdot 6=42\, , \,8\cdot 7=56## and ##9\cdot 8=72, ## all ending on ##2## or ##6##.

This is a regular pattern: simplify if possible, and explain what you actually do.
And what about the sign? Equal sign is okay above or congruence sign?
 
Math100 said:
And what about the sign? Equal sign is okay above or congruence sign?
I think equal is ok since it is modulo ##10## and everybody can see the last digit.

I made a mistake as I first wrote ##a(a-1)=0## for one factor in ##\{0,5\}.##
This was wrong because what I meant was ##a(a-1)\equiv 0\pmod{10}## for one factor in ##\{0,5\}.##
Here it is important since I only wrote the last digit, and not ##\{0,20,30\}.##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Math100