Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that a set of functions is linearly independent

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    Hello everybody

I have to show that this set of vectors a = (e-t, e-it, et, eit ) is linearly independent.

My attempt :

f(x) = k1 * e-t + k2 * e-it + k3 * et + k4 * eit

f '(x) = k1 * -e-t + k2 * -ie-it + k3 * et + k4 * ieit

f ''(x) = k1 * e-t + k2 * -e-it + k3 * et + k4 * -eit

f(0) = k1 * 1 + k2 * 1 + k3 * 1+ k4 * 1 = 0

f '(0) = k1 * -1 + k2 * -i + k3 * 1+ k4 * i = 0

f ''(0) = k1 * 1 + k2 * -1 + k3 * 1+ k4 * -1 = 0

But when I plot this in maple and reduce it I get this :

- Image -

They're linearly dependent but this can't be correct. So I guess I'm doing something wrong but what ?

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

I HAVE SOLVED THIS !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

I'm going to guess that you actually meant to write powers and that you meant dependence over the complex there...so suppose

$$ae^t+be^{-t}+ce^{it}+de^{-it}=0\,\,\,,\,\,a,b,c,d\in\Bbb C\,\,:$$

$$(1)\;\;t=0:\Longrightarrow a+b+c+d=0$$

$$(2)\;\;t=2\pi:\Longrightarrow ae^{2\pi}+be^{-2\pi}+c+d=0\Longrightarrow a\left(e^{2\pi}-1\right)+b\left(e^{-2\pi}-1\right)=0$$

$$(3)\;\;t=-2\pi:\Longrightarrow ae^{-2\pi}+be^{2\pi}+c+d=0\Longrightarrow a\left(e^{-2\pi}-1\right)+b\left(e^{2\pi}-1\right)=0$$

From (2)-(3) you already get [itex]\,a=b=0\,[/itex] . Continue a little more to get that all the coefficients must be zero.

4. Nov 12, 2012 #3
    DonAntonio's solution makes sense.

But, OP, your solution is not clear. You should be starting with a 4x4 matrix, not a 3x4 matrix. Presumably, you would also need to write up an explanation of what those matrices have to do with the original question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook