Show that a set of functions is linearly independent

In summary: But if you do that, you will see that you are missing a crucial step.In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a set of vectors is linearly independent. The attempted solution involves finding the derivatives of a function and setting them equal to zero, but when plotted, the vectors appear to be linearly dependent. After some analysis, the issue is resolved and it is shown that the vectors are indeed linearly independent.
Tala.S
Hello everybody

I have to show that this set of vectors a = (e-t, e-it, et, eit ) is linearly independent.

My attempt :

f(x) = k1 * e-t + k2 * e-it + k3 * et + k4 * eit

f '(x) = k1 * -e-t + k2 * -ie-it + k3 * et + k4 * ieit

f ''(x) = k1 * e-t + k2 * -e-it + k3 * et + k4 * -eit

f(0) = k1 * 1 + k2 * 1 + k3 * 1+ k4 * 1 = 0

f '(0) = k1 * -1 + k2 * -i + k3 * 1+ k4 * i = 0

f ''(0) = k1 * 1 + k2 * -1 + k3 * 1+ k4 * -1 = 0

But when I plot this in maple and reduce it I get this :

- Image -

They're linearly dependent but this can't be correct. So I guess I'm doing something wrong but what ?

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

I HAVE SOLVED THIS !

Attachments

• Billede 1.png
    Billede 1.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tala.S said:
Hello everybody

I have to show that this set of vectors a = (e-t, e-it, et, eit ) is linearly independent.

My attempt :

f(x) = k1 * e-t + k2 * e-it + k3 * et + k4 * eit

f '(x) = k1 * -e-t + k2 * -ie-it + k3 * et + k4 * ieit

f ''(x) = k1 * e-t + k2 * -e-it + k3 * et + k4 * -eit

f(0) = k1 * 1 + k2 * 1 + k3 * 1+ k4 * 1 = 0

f '(0) = k1 * -1 + k2 * -i + k3 * 1+ k4 * i = 0

f ''(0) = k1 * 1 + k2 * -1 + k3 * 1+ k4 * -1 = 0

But when I plot this in maple and reduce it I get this :

- Image -

They're linearly dependent but this can't be correct. So I guess I'm doing something wrong but what ?

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

I HAVE SOLVED THIS !

I'm going to guess that you actually meant to write powers and that you meant dependence over the complex there...so suppose

$$ae^t+be^{-t}+ce^{it}+de^{-it}=0\,\,\,,\,\,a,b,c,d\in\Bbb C\,\,:$$

$$(1)\;\;t=0:\Longrightarrow a+b+c+d=0$$

$$(2)\;\;t=2\pi:\Longrightarrow ae^{2\pi}+be^{-2\pi}+c+d=0\Longrightarrow a\left(e^{2\pi}-1\right)+b\left(e^{-2\pi}-1\right)=0$$

$$(3)\;\;t=-2\pi:\Longrightarrow ae^{-2\pi}+be^{2\pi}+c+d=0\Longrightarrow a\left(e^{-2\pi}-1\right)+b\left(e^{2\pi}-1\right)=0$$

From (2)-(3) you already get [itex]\,a=b=0\,[/itex] . Continue a little more to get that all the coefficients must be zero.

DonAntonio's solution makes sense.

But, OP, your solution is not clear. You should be starting with a 4x4 matrix, not a 3x4 matrix. Presumably, you would also need to write up an explanation of what those matrices have to do with the original question.

1. What does it mean for a set of functions to be linearly independent?

Linear independence refers to a set of functions where no function in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other functions in the set. In other words, none of the functions in the set can be expressed as a sum of multiples of the other functions in the set.

2. How can I show that a set of functions is linearly independent?

To show that a set of functions is linearly independent, you can use the linear independence test. This involves setting up a linear combination of the functions and equating it to zero. If the only solution is when all the coefficients are zero, then the set of functions is linearly independent.

3. What is the difference between linear independence and linear dependence?

Linear independence and linear dependence are opposite concepts. Linear independence refers to a set of functions that cannot be written as a linear combination of each other, while linear dependence refers to a set of functions that can be expressed in this way.

4. Can a set of functions be both linearly independent and linearly dependent?

No, a set of functions cannot be both linearly independent and linearly dependent. This is because the two concepts are mutually exclusive, and a set of functions can only fall into one category.

5. Why is it important to determine if a set of functions is linearly independent?

Determining if a set of functions is linearly independent is important because it allows us to understand the properties of the functions and how they relate to each other. It also helps us in solving systems of equations and finding solutions to differential equations.