Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that Area form is independent of parameterization?

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    In differential geometry, how can one show that the area form: √(EG-F2)du[itex]\wedge[/itex]dv is independent of the choice of local parameterization?
    Here E,F,G are the coefficients of first fundamental form. Please someone gives me some ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Maybe if you give us the definition of E, G, F and/or how they are calculated, that
    would help.

And, BTW : why doesn't the independence of parametrization hold for standard
    integrals in standard integration in ℝn , where the area is scaled by
    the determinant of the Jacobian J(f) of the change of variables?

4. Nov 22, 2011 #3
    Actually, what I am trying to do is to change from one parameterization to another and calculate the formula by definition to see if they give the same result under different parameterization, but I am not sure I am doing something valid. For instance, E=[itex]\phi_{u}\cdot\phi_{u}[/itex] where[itex]\phi[/itex] is a local parameterization from a open set in R^2 to the surface concerned and [itex]\phi_{u}=\partial \phi / \partial u\circ\phi^{-1}[/itex] so can I write [itex]\phi_{u}=\phi_{v}\partial v/\partial u [/itex]for another parameterization? In that case I can express the thing with determinants of Jacobian and they eventually cancel out to give same result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook