Upper Bound of Sets and Sequences: Analyzing Logic

In summary, an upper bound for a set A is a real number M such that every element in A is less than or equal to M. Similarly, an upper bound for a sequence (a_n) is a real number M such that every term in the sequence is less than or equal to M. To show that these definitions are equivalent, we use logic to write the formalizations of the statements and prove their equivalence. The exact formalization depends on the words used in the definitions.
CGandC
Upper bound definition for sets: $ M \in \mathbb{R} $ is an upper bound of set $ A $ if $ \forall \alpha\in A. \alpha \leq M$
Upper bound definition for sequences: $ M \in \mathbb{R} $ is an upper bound of sequence $ (a_n)$ if $ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}. a_n \leq M$
Suppose we look at the set $ A = \{ a_n | n \in \mathbb{N} \} $ .

I've been pondering for a while about the following 2 questions related to mathematical-writing , logic and set builder notation:

Questions:
1. How do we get using logic from the defintion of upper bound for sets to the definition of the upper bound for sequences using the set $ A = \{ a_n | n \in \mathbb{N} \} $? My reasoning:
$ \forall \alpha \in A . \alpha \leq M \iff \forall \alpha.( \alpha\in A \rightarrow \alpha \leq M ) \iff $ $\forall \alpha.( \alpha \in A \rightarrow \exists n \in \mathbb{N}. \alpha = a_n \rightarrow \alpha \leq M ) \iff $ $ \forall \alpha.( \alpha \in A \rightarrow \exists n \in \mathbb{N}. \alpha = a_n \rightarrow \alpha \leq M \rightarrow a_n \leq M) $ Hence $ \forall \alpha \in A \exists n \in \mathbb{N}.( \alpha=a_n \land a_n\leq M $ ), now, this is not equivalent to the defintion of upper bound of sequences above ( $ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}. a_n \leq M$ ), why? can you please give correct transitions? I think I made mistakes but It's confusing me to see how to write them correctly.

2. Someone told me that since every element of $ A = \{ a_n | n \in \mathbb{N} \} $ is generated by every element of $ n \in \mathbb{N} $ so therefore $ \forall \alpha\in A. \alpha \leq M$ is equivalent to $ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}. a_n \leq M$ .
How is that possible that the two statements are equivalent? Since for arbitrary $ \alpha \in C $ there exists a specific $ n \in N $ ( not arbitrary ) therefore it appears false to write $ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}. a_n \leq M$ but seems more reasonable to write $ \exists n \in \mathbb{N}. a_n \leq M$ .

Physics news on Phys.org
The complete and correct formalization of the above statatments are the following :

1)$M\in R$ is an upper bound of $A\subseteq R$ iff (and not if) $\forall a(a\in A\Rightarrow a\leq M)$

2)$M\in R$ is an upper bound of the sequence $(a_n)$ iff $\forall n ( a_n\leq M)$

OR

1)A, $A\subseteq R$ is bounded from above iff ) $\forall a((a\in A\Rightarrow\exists M(M\in R\wedge( a\leq M))$

2) $(a_n)\subseteq R$ is bounded from above iff $\forall n\exists M (M\in R\wedge (a_n\leq M)$

So depending on the words of the definition there different ways to formalise the definition

Also you do not use logic for formalizing a mathematical statement

To prove that two statement are equivalent you have to use logic

Now according to the words expressing that A has an upper bound M you can use the appropriate formalization

Thanks, I understand now.

I must also point out that only complet and correct formalization will allow you to write a correct formal proof

1. What is an upper bound?

An upper bound is the maximum value that a set or sequence can have. It is a limit or boundary that the elements of the set or sequence cannot exceed.

2. How is an upper bound determined?

An upper bound can be determined by analyzing the logic of the set or sequence. This involves looking at the pattern of the elements and identifying the highest value that they can reach.

3. What is the significance of an upper bound?

An upper bound is important because it helps us understand the behavior and limitations of a set or sequence. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the set or sequence.

4. Can an upper bound change?

Yes, an upper bound can change if new elements are added to the set or sequence that exceed the previous upper bound. In this case, the upper bound will need to be recalculated.

5. How is the upper bound different from the maximum value?

The upper bound is a theoretical limit that the elements of a set or sequence cannot exceed, while the maximum value is the actual highest value that is present in the set or sequence. The maximum value may or may not be the same as the upper bound.