Show that diagonals in a diamond (rhombus) are orthogonal

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Petrus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diamond Orthogonal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Petrus
Messages
702
Reaction score
0
Hello MHB,
I am working with a exemple that I think they got some incorrect.
Exemple 10.Show that diagonals in a diamond(romb) is orthogonal.

I understand that $$AC•BD=0$$ cause of dot product and if it's orthogonal the angle is $$\frac{\pi}{2}$$
I understand all the part until the step before the last one
2dqqclx.jpg

Edit: last part got cut in picture, it should be: $$|BC|^2-|AB|^2=0$$

Regards,
$$|\pi\rangle$$
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Show that diagonala in a diamond(romb) is orthogonal

Are you talking about how:

$$\overline{AB}\cdot\left(\overline{AD}-\overline{BC} \right)=0$$ ?

If so, this is because:

$$\overline{AD}=\overline{BC}$$
 
Re: Show that diagonala in a diamond(romb) is orthogonal

MarkFL said:
Are you talking about how:

$$\overline{AB}\cdot\left(\overline{AD}-\overline{BC} \right)=0$$ ?

If so, this is because:

$$\overline{AD}=\overline{BC}$$
Hello Mark!
Thanks for the fast respond! Now evrything make sense! I did confuse myself and thought they did rewrite $$AB•AD=AB•(AD-BC)$$ but they did rewrite $$AB•AD-BC•AB=AB(AD-BC)$$ and indeed $$AD=BC$$ so we could also rewrite that as $$AB(BC-BC)$$ or $$AB(AD-AD)$$. I did not see that.. Thanks a lot evrything make sense now!

Regards,
$$|\pi\rangle$$
 
Petrus said:
Hello MHB,
I am working with a exemple that I think they got some incorrect.
Exemple 10.Show that diagonals in a diamond(romb) is orthogonal.

There is little new in my post except to point out some advantages of vector notation.

Use [tex]\overrightarrow {AB}[/tex] as the vector from A to B and [tex]\|\overrightarrow {AB}\|[/tex] as the length of the vector.

Now if [tex]\overrightarrow {AB} ~\&~\overrightarrow {AD}[/tex] are adjacent sides of a convex quadrilateral, then the diagonals are [tex]\overrightarrow {AB}+\overrightarrow {AD}~\&~\overrightarrow {AB}-\overrightarrow {AD}[/tex].

Note that [tex]\left( {\overrightarrow {AB} + \overrightarrow {AD} } \right) \cdot \left( {\overrightarrow {AB} - \overrightarrow {AD} } \right) = {\left\| {\overrightarrow {AB} } \right\|^2} - {\left\| {\overrightarrow {AD} } \right\|^2}[/tex].

But in a rhombus those two sides are equal length, giving us zero.