Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that inner product is zero.

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    Let A be a Hermitian operator with n eigenkets: [itex]A|u_i\rangle = a_i |u_i\rangle[/itex] for i=1,2,...,n.

Suppose B is an operator that commutes with A. How could I show that
    [tex]\langle u_i | B | u_j \rangle = 0 \qquad (a_i \neq a_j)?[/tex]

I have tried the following but not sure how to proceed:
    [tex]AB - BA=0\\ \implies \langle u_i | AB | u_j \rangle - \langle u_i | BA | u_j \rangle = 0[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Is ##A## Hermitian or is it self-adjoint? If it is the latter then the result is immediate from what you wrote down because for any self-adjoint operator ##A##, if ##|u_i \rangle## is an eigenket of ##A## with eigenvalue ##a_i## then ##\langle u_i|## is an eigenbra of ##A## with the same eigenvalue i.e. ##\langle u_i|A = a_i\langle u_i |## so you would be left with ##(a_i -a_j) \left \langle u_i|B|u_j \right \rangle = 0##.

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3
    Actually I think I got it:

[tex]a_i \langle u_i |B|u_j \rangle - \langle u_i |B| u_j \rangle a_j = 0[/tex] using the Hermiticity of A for the first term, and then since [itex]a_i \neq a_j[/itex] we get
    [tex]\langle u_i |B| u_j \rangle = 0[/tex]

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

This is a technical point and I don't know if it matters for your class however it should be noted that while ##\langle u_i |A = a_i \langle u_i |## is certainly true if ##A## is self-adjoint, it won't necessarily be true if ##A## is only Hermitian.

6. Oct 15, 2013 #5
    Thanks for that - I think we both posted at the same time! My question is related to quantum mechanics. I think physicists use the words Hermitian and self-adjoint interchangeably. I know that pure mathematicians will distinguish them but it's not important for my area. Thanks!

7. Oct 15, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Alrighty then! Glad you got it worked out :)

8. Oct 15, 2013 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just by using the Dirac bra-ket formalism (one of the most vicious inventions in the history of science) means that you're hiding a lot of mathematical beauty under the carpet. Let's proceed then and leave finesse aside and say that if A and B commute, then they have a common set of eigenvectors. Thus the ui's of A are the ui's of B, so that you need to prove that 2 eigenvectors pertaining to 2 different eigenvalues are orthogonal one on each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook