Show that it is a energy eigenstate and find the corresponding energy

  • Thread starter Thread starter Denver Dang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Eigenstate Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Denver Dang
Messages
143
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Hi.

I'm looking at a hydrogen atom, which normalized stationary states is defined as |nlm>

The hydrogen atom is described by the normalized wavefunction:
[tex]\left| \psi \right\rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left( \left| 210 \right\rangle +\left| 211 \right\rangle \right)[/tex]
Now, show that [itex]\left| \psi \right\rangle[/itex] is an energy eigenstate, and find the corresponding energy.


Homework Equations



I'm told that:

[tex]{{L}^{2}}\left| nlm \right\rangle =l\left( l+1 \right){{\hbar }^{2}}\left| nlm \right\rangle[/tex]
[tex]{{L}_{z}}\left| nlm \right\rangle =m\hbar \left| nlm \right\rangle[/tex]
[tex]{{L}_{+}}={{L}_{x}}+i{{L}_{y}}[/tex]
[tex]{{L}_{-}}={{L}_{x}}-i{{L}_{y}}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



In my mind, it seems so easy, but I don't have my book at my side, so I can't even check how it is done. Does it has something to do with:
[tex]H\left| \psi \right\rangle =E\left| \psi \right\rangle[/tex]

If so, what hamiltonian am I suppose to use ?

Well, I'm kinda lost right now, so I was hoping to get a push in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.


Regards
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes - it is an energy eigenstate if it is an eigenvector of the Hamiltonian.
You will need the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen potential.

Note: out of the quantum numbers shown in the state vectors, which refer to the energy eigenstates?