1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that it is a energy eigenstate and find the corresponding energy

1. Apr 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi.

I'm looking at a hydrogen atom, which normalized stationary states is defined as |nlm>

The hydrogen atom is described by the normalized wavefunction:
    [tex]\left| \psi \right\rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left( \left| 210 \right\rangle +\left| 211 \right\rangle \right)[/tex]
    Now, show that [itex]\left| \psi \right\rangle[/itex] is an energy eigenstate, and find the corresponding energy.

2. Relevant equations

I'm told that:

[tex]{{L}^{2}}\left| nlm \right\rangle =l\left( l+1 \right){{\hbar }^{2}}\left| nlm \right\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]{{L}_{z}}\left| nlm \right\rangle =m\hbar \left| nlm \right\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]{{L}_{+}}={{L}_{x}}+i{{L}_{y}}[/tex]
    [tex]{{L}_{-}}={{L}_{x}}-i{{L}_{y}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

In my mind, it seems so easy, but I don't have my book at my side, so I can't even check how it is done. Does it has something to do with:
    [tex]H\left| \psi \right\rangle =E\left| \psi \right\rangle[/tex]

If so, what hamiltonian am I suppose to use ?

Well, I'm kinda lost right now, so I was hoping to get a push in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes - it is an energy eigenstate if it is an eigenvector of the Hamiltonian.
    You will need the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen potential.

Note: out of the quantum numbers shown in the state vectors, which refer to the energy eigenstates?

4. Apr 30, 2013 #3
    Ahh yes, thank you very much :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted