Show that it is a energy eigenstate and find the corresponding energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the hydrogen atom and its normalized stationary states. The goal is to show that a given wavefunction is an energy eigenstate and to find the corresponding energy. The equations used to solve this problem involve the angular momentum operators and the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen potential. The conversation also points out the importance of understanding which quantum numbers refer to the energy eigenstates.
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

Hi.

I'm looking at a hydrogen atom, which normalized stationary states is defined as |nlm>

The hydrogen atom is described by the normalized wavefunction:
[tex]\left| \psi \right\rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left( \left| 210 \right\rangle +\left| 211 \right\rangle \right)[/tex]
Now, show that [itex]\left| \psi \right\rangle[/itex] is an energy eigenstate, and find the corresponding energy.

Homework Equations

I'm told that:

[tex]{{L}^{2}}\left| nlm \right\rangle =l\left( l+1 \right){{\hbar }^{2}}\left| nlm \right\rangle[/tex]
[tex]{{L}_{z}}\left| nlm \right\rangle =m\hbar \left| nlm \right\rangle[/tex]
[tex]{{L}_{+}}={{L}_{x}}+i{{L}_{y}}[/tex]
[tex]{{L}_{-}}={{L}_{x}}-i{{L}_{y}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In my mind, it seems so easy, but I don't have my book at my side, so I can't even check how it is done. Does it has something to do with:
[tex]H\left| \psi \right\rangle =E\left| \psi \right\rangle[/tex]

If so, what hamiltonian am I suppose to use ?

Well, I'm kinda lost right now, so I was hoping to get a push in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes - it is an energy eigenstate if it is an eigenvector of the Hamiltonian.
You will need the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen potential.

Note: out of the quantum numbers shown in the state vectors, which refer to the energy eigenstates?

Ahh yes, thank you very much :D

1. What is an energy eigenstate?

An energy eigenstate is a state of a quantum system in which the energy of the system is well-defined. This means that the system's energy can be measured with certainty, and it will always have the same value when measured.

2. How do you determine if a state is an energy eigenstate?

To determine if a state is an energy eigenstate, you need to solve the Schrödinger equation for the system. If the solution is a single, well-defined energy value, then the state is an energy eigenstate.

3. What is the significance of finding an energy eigenstate?

Finding an energy eigenstate is significant because it allows us to make accurate predictions about the energy of a quantum system. It also simplifies the mathematical description of the system, making it easier to analyze and understand.

4. How does the corresponding energy of an energy eigenstate affect the system?

The corresponding energy of an energy eigenstate is the energy value that the system will always have when measured. This energy value affects the behavior and properties of the system, such as the frequency and wavelength of the associated wave function.

5. Can a system have multiple energy eigenstates?

Yes, a system can have multiple energy eigenstates. In fact, most systems have an infinite number of energy eigenstates, each with a different energy value. The collection of all possible energy eigenstates for a system is known as its energy spectrum.