Diatomic molecule at a constant temperature

In summary, a diatomic molecule ##D_{2}## in ##30K## and in state ##| \psi (0) \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{26}}(3 | 1,1 \rangle + 4| 7,3 \rangle + | 7,1 \rangle )## can be described by the Hamiltonian ##H = \frac{L^2}{2I}##. However, without an explicit coupling to the environment, it is not possible to solve for the state at a later time.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below...
Relevant Equations
A diatomic molecule ##D_{2}## in ##30K##, in ##t=0##, is in the state ##| \psi (0) \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{26}}(3 | 1,1 \rangle + 4| 7,3 \rangle + | 7,1 \rangle )##, where the kets denote states ##| l,m \rangle##. Use ##\frac{\hbar}{Ic4\pi}=30.4cm^{-1}##.

Obtain ##| \psi (t) \rangle ##

I think the main point here is to deduce what is the Hamiltonian of the system. But i don't know waht could i use!

First i thought it could be a rotator, so ##H = \frac{L^2}{2I}##. But doing so, i am not sure how the temperatura enters in the problem!

It seems that the probability should follows the canonical formalism, so ##P \propto e^{-\beta E}##, where ##P## is the probability of the state with energy ##E##. But how to connect it to a rotator?
(If the rotator idea is correct)

Physics news on Phys.org
Without an explicit coupling to the environment, there is no way to solve this for the case of constant temperature.

As the molecule is in a pure state at ##t=0##, I would continue treating it as an isolated system and disregard the mention of temperature.

1. What is a diatomic molecule?

A diatomic molecule is a molecule composed of two atoms of the same or different elements that are bonded together. Examples of diatomic molecules include oxygen (O2), nitrogen (N2), and hydrogen chloride (HCl).

2. What is the significance of a constant temperature in studying diatomic molecules?

A constant temperature allows for accurate and consistent measurements of the properties of diatomic molecules. This is because temperature affects the energy and movement of the molecules, and a constant temperature ensures that these factors do not change during the experiment.

3. How does temperature affect the behavior of diatomic molecules?

At higher temperatures, diatomic molecules have more energy and move faster, leading to an increase in their average kinetic energy. This can result in changes in their physical and chemical properties, such as increased reactivity and a higher likelihood of dissociation.

4. What are some common methods for studying diatomic molecules at a constant temperature?

Some common methods include gas chromatography, infrared spectroscopy, and Raman spectroscopy. These techniques allow for the measurement of properties such as bond length, bond strength, and molecular vibrations at a constant temperature.

5. How does a diatomic molecule behave at a constant temperature compared to a non-constant temperature?

At a constant temperature, a diatomic molecule will have consistent physical and chemical properties, making it easier to study and analyze. In contrast, at a non-constant temperature, the molecule's properties may vary, making it more difficult to draw accurate conclusions about its behavior.