1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the Time-Avg Power is proportional to 1+cos(delta)

Tags:
  1. Sep 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am working on a lab report for a Microwave Optics lab in a Modern Physics class. There is a part in it where I am supposed to derive [itex]P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ) [/itex]. Here is the problem:

The electric field of the signal reflected off the fixed mirror can be written as [itex]E_1 =
    E_0 cos(ωt)[/itex]. The electric field of the signal reflected off the adjustable mirror is then [itex]E_2 = E_0 cos(ωt+δ)[/itex], where [itex]δ = 2π(2x)/λ[/itex] is the phase difference in radians caused by moving the mirror a distance [itex]x[/itex]. The factor of [itex]2[/itex] comes from the fact that moving the mirror a distance [itex]x[/itex] changes the round-trip path length by [itex]2x[/itex]. These two signals combine at the detector, producing a net electric field that is equal to their sum, [itex]E_{tot} = E_1+E_2[/itex]. (We assume that both signals have the same polarization.) The detector measures power, which is proportional to the square of the total electric field, [itex]P \propto E_{tot}^2[/itex]. Using the trigonometric product identity [itex]cos(α)cos(β) = ½[cos(α+β)+cos(α-β)][/itex], show that the time-average power at the detector can be written as [itex]P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ) [/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]E_1 =
    E_0 cos(ωt)[/tex]
    [tex]E_2 = E_0 cos(ωt+δ)[/tex]
    [tex]δ = 2π(2x)/λ[/tex]
    [tex]E_{tot} = E_1+E_2[/tex]
    [tex]P \propto E_{tot}^2[/tex]
    [tex]cos(α)cos(β) = ½[cos(α+β)+cos(α-β)][/tex]
    [tex]P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know where to start on this problem, but here is my preliminary attempt:

[tex]E_{tot} = E_1+E_2
    = E_0 cos(ωt) + E_0 cos(ωt+δ)[/tex]
    [tex]= E_0 [cos(ωt) + cos(ωt+δ)][/tex]
    [tex]E_{tot}^2 = E_0^2 [cos(ωt) + cos(ωt+δ)]^2[/tex]
    [tex]= E_0^2 [cos^2(ωt) + 2cos(ωt)cos(ωt+δ) + cos^2(ωt+δ)][/tex]
    Then using [itex]cos(α)cos(β) = ½[cos(α+β)+cos(α-β)][/itex]:
    [tex]= E_0^2 [cos^2(ωt) + cos^2(ωt+δ)+ cos(2ωt+δ)+ cos(-δ)][/tex]
    [tex]= E_0^2 [cos^2(ωt) + cos^2(ωt+δ)+ cos(2ωt+δ)+ cos(δ)][/tex]
    But, I really don't know where I am going or what to do and I need help. What I have for my attempt is just some "playing around" to see if something would come together. I especially don't know where "time-avg" power is coming in. But, overall, I just have no clue.

Can someone please help me figure out what to do?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

cos^2(ωt) = cos(ωt) cos(ωt) , so you can use the formula for cos(α )cos(β) with α=β=ωt. Do the same with cos2(ωt+δ).

ehild

4. Sep 15, 2014 #3
    Ok, now I get this:
    [tex]E_{tot}^2 = E_0^2[(1/2)cos(2ωt)+(1/2)cos(2ωt+2δ)+cos(2ωt+δ)+cos(δ) + (1/2)][/tex]
    But I still don't know if I'm even heading in the right direction to show that [itex]P_{avg} \propto 1 + cos(δ)[/itex]. I am still lost as to how I am supposed to show this.

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The last term is 1 instead of 1/2.

You have to take the time average of the function above, that is integrate with respect to time for a whole period of the original signal.. It is the sum of the integrals of all terms.
    What is the integral of a cosine function for a whole period?

ehild

6. Sep 16, 2014 #5
    Before attempting any integration (which I still don't know what the limits of integration should be) how is the last term 1 instead of 1/2? Also, the integral of cosine over a whole period is 0.

7. Sep 16, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have two cos2 terms. cos2(ωt)=1/2[1+cos(2ωt)] and cos2(ωt+δ)=1/2[1+cos(2(ωt+δ))], so you have two 1/2-s altogether :biggrin:.

The time average is integral with respect time from any time τ to T+τ, divided by T where T is the time period.
    All the cosine terms cancel and the constant terms remain. The time average of a constant is itself.

ehild

8. Sep 16, 2014 #7
    Ok, so here is what I have now:
    [tex]E_{tot}^2 = E_0^2[(1/2)cos(2ωt)+(1/2)cos(2(ωt+δ))+cos(2ωt+δ)+cos(δ)+1][/tex]
    Taking the time-average of [itex]E_{tot}^2[/itex] becomes:
    [tex]E_{tot,avg}^2 = (E_0^2/T)\int_τ^{T+τ} [(1/2)cos(2ωt)+(1/2)cos(2(ωt+δ))+cos(2ωt+δ)+cos(δ)+1]\,dt[/tex]
    [tex]= (E_0^2/T)[tcos(δ)+t]_τ^{T+τ}[/tex]
    [tex]=(E_0^2/T)[[(T+τ)cos(δ)+T+τ]-[τcos(δ)+τ]][/tex]
    [tex]=(E_0^2/T)[Tcos(δ)+T][/tex]
    [tex]=E_0^2(1+cos(δ))[/tex]
    Is this correct?

9. Sep 16, 2014 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is correct.

ehild

10. Sep 16, 2014 #9
    Ok, so this is my conclusion then (correct me if I'm wrong):
    Since [itex]P \propto E_{tot}^2[/itex], then [itex]P_{avg} \propto E_{tot,avg}^2[/itex].
    And since [itex]E_{tot,avg}^2 = E_0^2(1+cos(δ))[/itex], then [itex]P_{avg} \propto 1+cos(δ)[/itex].

11. Sep 16, 2014 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You solved the problem!

ehild

12. Sep 16, 2014 #11
    THANK YOU SO MUCH:biggrin:! Couldn't have done it without your help!

Thanks again!

13. Sep 16, 2014 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome:smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted