Show that this inequality is true for all x, y ε R

• Thread starter tomcruisex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the equation |xy| <= 1/2(|x|^2 + |y|^2) for any x,y ε R can be shown to be true by induction by showing that it is true for a few values of y.
tomcruisex

Homework Statement

This is part of a question on absolute convergence on series. The following equation is given as a hint. It says that before answering the question on series I should prove that |xy| <= 1/2(|x|^2 + |y|^2) for any x,y ε R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this is the same as |x||y| <= 1/2(|x||x| + |y||y|). That is about all I am able to do to manipulate this equation. I tried solving for x or y but found it is not possible to separate them out. So I can't see how to prove this other than -
letting x = 0, then showing the equation is true for a few values of y
letting x = 1, then showing the equation is true for a few values of y
etc...

And then saying the equation is true 'by induction'. Surely there is a better, less awkward, way to show that |xy| <= 1/2(|x|^2 + |y|^2) for any x,y ε R

Physics news on Phys.org
tomcruisex said:

Homework Statement

This is part of a question on absolute convergence on series. The following equation is given as a hint. It says that before answering the question on series I should prove that |xy| <= 1/2(|x|^2 + |y|^2) for any x,y ε R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this is the same as |x||y| <= 1/2(|x||x| + |y||y|). That is about all I am able to do to manipulate this equation. I tried solving for x or y but found it is not possible to separate them out. So I can't see how to prove this other than -
letting x = 0, then showing the equation is true for a few values of y
letting x = 1, then showing the equation is true for a few values of y
etc...

And then saying the equation is true 'by induction'. Surely there is a better, less awkward, way to show that |xy| <= 1/2(|x|^2 + |y|^2) for any x,y ε R

COllect all the terms on one side, and that side will be able to be expressed as a perfect square. I would always multiply each side by 2 to get rid of the nuisance fraction first.

Ok, if I collect the terms on one side I get
|x|^2 -2|xy| + |y|^2 >= 0

which is
(|x| - |y|)^2 >= 0

So I can say
|x| - |y| >= 0

But this isn't true as you could have, for example, x = 5 and y = 7. Am I missing something here?

tomcruisex said:
Ok, if I collect the terms on one side I get
|x|^2 -2|xy| + |y|^2 >= 0

which is
(|x| - |y|)^2 >= 0

So I can say
|x| - |y| >= 0

But this isn't true as you could have, for example, x = 5 and y = 7. Am I missing something here?

You were going fine.

Look at your "which is" line

You have (...)2 >= 0 I didn't fill in the bracket on purpose.

Tell me about the value of the square of anything involving real numbers.

All I can think of is that the square of a real number will be a positive finite real number..?

So it doesn't matter what is in the brackets it will always be greater than or equal to zero and therefore (|x|-|y|)^2 >=0 or basically (...)^2 >= 0 is true. Is that correct?

Last edited:
I am having trouble applying this 'hint' to the original question. The original question was -
Show that if [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n^2[/tex] and [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}b_n^2[/tex] are convergent then [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_nb_n[/tex] is absolutely convergent.

Hint: Show |xy| <= 1/2(|x|^2 + |y|^2) for any x,y ε R

So I have shown that the hint is true but I can't see how I can just substitute in the series [tex]a_n[/tex] and [tex]b_n[/tex] for x and y as the |xy| cannot be represented by [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_nb_n[/tex] as that would be implying that
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n[/tex]*[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}b_n[/tex] = [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_nb_n[/tex], which it isn't as multiplication of series doesn't work like that. Anyone know how to apply this hint to the original question?

Last edited:
tomcruisex said:
All I can think of is that the square of a real number will be a positive finite real number..?

So it doesn't matter what is in the brackets it will always be greater than or equal to zero and therefore (|x|-|y|)^2 >=0 or basically (...)^2 >= 0 is true. Is that correct?

That is the logic. The technique of collecting all terms on one side of an equation/inequation is a common approach.

Cheers for the help mate. Any idea how to apply this hint to the original question in post #6?

That hint is really all you need. Perhaps think about what relevance it has? (I'm being terse on purpose, you should know enough to answer this)

1. What does "x, y ε R" mean in this context?

In this context, "x, y ε R" means that x and y are both real numbers. This notation is used to specify the set of possible values for x and y in the given inequality.

2. How do I prove that the inequality is true for all x and y?

To prove that the inequality is true for all x and y, you can use algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning. Start by simplifying the inequality and breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Then, use properties of real numbers and mathematical operations to manipulate the inequality and arrive at a statement that is obviously true. Finally, use logical reasoning to connect each step and show that the inequality is true for all possible values of x and y.

3. Can I use examples to prove the inequality?

No, using examples is not a sufficient way to prove that an inequality is true for all values of x and y. Examples can only show that an inequality is true for specific values of x and y, but not for all possible values. To prove that the inequality is true for all x and y, you need to use algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning as mentioned in the previous answer.

4. Is it possible to prove that an inequality is true for all real numbers without using algebra?

No, algebraic manipulation is an essential tool for proving that an inequality is true for all real numbers. Without it, it would be difficult to show that an inequality holds for all possible values of x and y. However, you can use alternative methods such as geometric proofs or calculus techniques to prove certain types of inequalities.

5. Why is it important to show that an inequality is true for all real numbers?

It is important to show that an inequality is true for all real numbers because it allows us to make general statements about the behavior of mathematical expressions. When we know that an inequality is true for all possible values of x and y, we can confidently use it to make predictions and solve problems in a wide range of contexts. Additionally, proving that an inequality is true for all real numbers demonstrates a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and principles.