1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show the permissible values of l and m

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show the permissible values of l and m for;
    a) n=1
    b) n=2
    c) n=3

2. Relevant equations

I'm not really sure what they mean by permissible values, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain this to me and help me get started. thank you

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Chemistry

I think you need to give us a little more information

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3

n is the primary quantum number, l is the secondary quantum nuber and m is the magnetic quantum number.

if n=1 then you have 1 sublevel you use the equation n^2 to find out how many orbitals it has. For example, if n=2 then sub it into the equation n^2 so (2)^2 = 4, therefore it has 4 orbitals. Umm lol This information is only semi relevant I beleive I'm not really understanding the question itself so it makes it difficult to relate information to it. There isn't a direct formula that I know of that is related to it I think it is a question that you have to infer but once again I don't exaclty understand what the question is asking.

5. Apr 15, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It asks what values can l & m take for a given n.

Let's say... if n=4, is it possible to have l=7?

--
    methods

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook