Show the permissible values of l and m

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tyyoung
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Tyyoung
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show the permissible values of l and m for;
a) n=1
b) n=2
c) n=3


Homework Equations



I'm not really sure what they mean by permissible values, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain this to me and help me get started. thank you

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org


n is the primary quantum number, l is the secondary quantum nuber and m is the magnetic quantum number.

if n=1 then you have 1 sublevel you use the equation n^2 to find out how many orbitals it has. For example, if n=2 then sub it into the equation n^2 so (2)^2 = 4, therefore it has 4 orbitals. Umm lol This information is only semi relevant I believe I'm not really understanding the question itself so it makes it difficult to relate information to it. There isn't a direct formula that I know of that is related to it I think it is a question that you have to infer but once again I don't exactly understand what the question is asking.
 


It asks what values can l & m take for a given n.

Let's say... if n=4, is it possible to have l=7?

--
methods