Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shower and curtain effect, what's happening?

1. Aug 29, 2008 #1
    So I have a shower, it's barely a rectangle, one side is about 15% longer than the other, although, that may be irrelevant.

My shower curtain does not fully touch the bottom of my shower, there's a and and a half inch gap between, the bottom of the curtain and the tile floor, also, the edge of the shower is not very high, it's about 2- 2.5 inches off the ground, so there's a small gap. That all may or may not be relevant.

So, when the water is turned on, the shower curtain tends to fluff inwards and remain there, If I stand under the water, it goes back. I thought it was my body blocking whatever wind effect there may be, but then I stood so I wasn't under the water, so it was fluffing. I cupped my hands near the spray nozzle, so the water, instead of having a spray effect had a downward solid stream effect, and the curtain unfluffed and returned to it's normal dangle. What's up?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2008 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

It's usually a case of air circulating downwards inside the curtain, outwards under the curtain, then back upwards outside the curtain. A bit of a vortice like effect at the bottom can cause the air to blow the lower part inward, and once it's inwards a bit the upwash blows the curtain inwards further still. The effect is more pronounced for a curtain just inside the wall of a bathtub. I seem to recall that on a flat floor, with nothing to trap the outward movement of air, it doesn't happen.

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think there's a journal article about this somewhere- IIRC, it's the air flow that's set up by the thermal gradients (as Jeff points out) from the hot shower water and cooler ambient air.

Try running the shower with cold water (you may choose whether or not to be in the shower) and see what happens.

5. Sep 2, 2008 #4
    another thing about shower curtains:

why do they stick to you the way they do? I have a feeling there are some spade charge effects here. Like when you charge a plastic rod and hold it next to flowing water it tends to 'bend' the water towards the rod slightly.

Is this it?

6. Sep 19, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I traveled recently and stayed in a hotel that had shower curtains that were either intentionally or coincidentally designed to stop the curtain effect. The distinct feature was that the curtain rod was an arc that bowed outwards by perhaps four inches; well beyond the edge of the tub. I was looking at it before I got in and was wondering why they had used such an odd design. It didn't seem to have any aesthetic value. But when I got in, the function of the arc seemed to be apparent... that or they got real lucky.

7. Sep 19, 2008 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I thought the curved bar simply increased the amount of room within the shower...never thought about the flow pattern.

8. Sep 19, 2008 #7
    Ahaha you're all wrong...

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=why-does-the-shower-curta&topicID=13

-

For what it's worth, Wikipedia, it's usual reliable self, says that (and I quote):

"The shower curtain is blown in my very small ghost trolls that punch your curtain they can only manipulate shower curtains because anything else they touch they just go through. That is how we have never felt them or seen them.This is only theory and not a proved or disproved fact."

9. Sep 19, 2008 #8
    It's just a convection current. The same thing happens when you boil water. Hot air rises, and the cooler air flows in.

10. Sep 20, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, it made no difference in the available shower space.

11. Sep 20, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, that's not true. I guess it did provide a little extra space, but barely - maybe a couple of inches at the elbows.

12. Sep 20, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hah! It was intended to stop the curtain effect.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/...er-curtain-effect-once-and-for-all-242198.php

The one at the hotel didn't have a counterweight, but it was certainly a variation on this and I think even the same brand.

I wonder if they were trying to make a roomier shower and hit on the curtain effect by accident.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?