Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lawn/Garden Increase the Height of Water Spouts in Garden Ponds

1. Dec 6, 2018 #1
    Hi all,
    I am new to this forum and seeking help with a project that I am working on at the condominium complex where I live in Thailand during the winter months. We currently have 3 ponds with water spouts in each pond. At this time the water nozzles spray (bubble up) to about 12-14 inches. My challenge is to try to get them to spray (bubble up) to 30-36 inches. Cost is a factor, so what is the most effective but cost efficient way to accomplish this? A single pump feeds the 3 different spray jet arrays consisting of 4, 6 & 8 nozzles. Each array is fed from a 2" pvc main pipe, then reduced with a 2" to 1" T fitting with a 1" x 6" stem with the nozzles mounted on top. These nozzles are mounted just above the water level of the ponds.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2018 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Waterspout?

Reduce the area of the outlets? It will reduce the water flow and increase the pressure in the system.
    A larger pipe leading to them would reduce losses in the system.
    A better pump is the easiest but probably the most expensive option.

4. Dec 7, 2018 #3
    Thanks mfb,
    Yes, the pump would be the quickest solution but as you suggested price will be a factor. I think I understand your comment regarding reducing the outlets - this would be similar to salt shaker - smaller holes in the nozzles would reduce flow and increase pressure causing the water jets to spray higher, correct? I don't understand your comment "A larger pipe leading to them would reduce losses in the system". Does this mean that we should not reduce the 2" pipe to 1" until the water reaches the nozzles (like it is now)? I think you are saying that we need to have the volume - is this correct?

5. Dec 7, 2018 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes. You don't want to lose energy anywhere else but at the nozzle. You don't want high velocities and therefore high friction anywhere else in the system.

6. Dec 7, 2018 #5
    Perfect, thank you. I think I have a better understanding of the system now, with your assistance. I think my first step will be to see what adjustments can be made to the nozzle - there may be inserts or orifice plates that can be installed at the nozzle to adjust the restriction and change the height of the water leaving the nozzles.

Many thanks,
    Dale

7. Dec 8, 2018 #6

Merlin3189

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nozzles look to be the quickest solution, but I'm not sure orifice plates would be a good idea. Yes, you need to reduce the diameter to reduce the flow rate, but that flow needs to be at least as smooth as before. A simple blanking plug with a smaller hole is going to cause a lot of turbulence and not give you the increased velocity you need. A tapered entry and adequate length would seem desirable, but you need someone like Boneh3ad for good advice on that sort of thing.

OTOH I don't think you need to worry too much about the feeder pipes. If they are anything like adequate now, they should be more than adequate when the flow is reduced by 2 to 3 times.

8. Dec 8, 2018 #7

Klystron

Gold Member

Alternate solution? Thais in my experience place significance on small integers over height. If your budget allows two additional platforms, could you pump the water into a series of vertical catch basins to achieve your desired height? While maintaining symmetries? Provides 3 levels of water progressing in height. Not unlike how miners pumped water above 10m in Thai mining operations using catch ponds and small pumps.

In Thailand beware of intense seasonal flooding in the southern basin. Also, consider biological mosquito control (fish) in your artificial ponds.

9. Dec 8, 2018 #8

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Try blocking/shutting off one of the fountains. If the others rise higher it's a system flow or capacity limitation. If they don't, it's a pressure limitation.
    Is there a pressure regulator in the system that can be adjusted/modified, perhaps as a built-in pump bypass?

Cheers,
    Tom

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?