Showing dF/dx = (1/a)dF/du under substitution x = au

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dyatlov
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Dyatlov
Messages
25
Reaction score
1
Hello.
We have the derivative of a function: d F(x)/dx. If we substitute x = au, how can I show that d F(x)/dx = (1/a) (dF/du) ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dyatlov said:
Hello.
We have the derivative of a function: d F(x)/dx. If we substitute x = au, how can I show that d F(x)/dx = (1/a) (dF/du) ?

When you do a substitution, you take the derivatives of both sides (hint: take into account what is constant and what is not). If you do this, you'll immediately come to what you need to show.
 
Thanks for the answer, did it and got:
(dF/da) (dF/du) = (dF/da) u + (dF/du) a = (dF/du) a, since a is a constant. What am I missing here?
 
Dyatlov said:
Thanks for the answer, did it and got:
(dF/da) (dF/du) = (dF/da) u + (dF/du) a = (dF/du) a, since a is a constant. What am I missing here?

As I previously said, note that ##dx = a\cdot du##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Dyatlov
Thanks, got it now.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: QuantumQuest