1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing if f and g are bijective then so is g o f

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If ##f## and ##g## are bijective functions and ##f:A→B## and ##g:B→C## then ##g \circ f## is bijective.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Showing ##g \circ f## is one to one
    Suppose that ##g\circ f(a_1)=g\circ f(a_2)=> g(f(a_1))=g((f(a_2))## Since ##g## is one to one then ##f(a_1)=f(a_2)=b##. But since f is bijective there exists ##a_1## and ##a_2## in ##A## such that ##f(a_1)=b## and ##f(a_2)=b##. Since f is one to one then ##a_1=a_2##
    Showing ##g \circ f## is onto
    Since ##f## is onto there exists a ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=b## where ##b\in B##. Then ##g(b)=c## for a ##c\in C## since g is onto. Thus ##g(b)=g(f(a))=c## implies that ##g \circ f## is onto.

Would this be right?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not a good start. You need to start with supposing ##g \circ f (a_1) = g \circ f (a_2)##

4. Oct 3, 2013 #3
    I fixed it now. Is the onto part correct?

5. Oct 3, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not really. You should start with some arbitrary c in C then prove there exists an a in A such that etc.

6. Oct 3, 2013 #5
    Oh I was thinking that the range of f is in the domain of g so I thought I could do that. I'm curious why is the way I did it was wrong?

7. Oct 4, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You started with a b in B and found from that an a in A and a c in C. But the second of those did not require g to be onto. g is defined on B, so there would have to be a c in C. So you did not show that for any c in C there is an a in A.

8. Oct 4, 2013 #7
    I fixed the onto part.Here it is. Since ##g## is onto then for every ##c\in C## there exists a unique ##b\in B## such that ##g(b)=c##. Since ##f## is onto there exists a ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=b##. Now we see ##c=g(b)=g(f(a))=g\circ f(a)##. Thus ##g \circ f## is onto

9. Oct 5, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Good. (But it is not necessary that b is unique for this part of the proof.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted