##G## is Injective ##\iff ## ## f ## is onto ## Y ## (Lambda Notation)

In summary, if G is injective and Y is not empty, then G has an injection from onto Y. If Y is not empty, then there exists an element a such that G has an injection from onto A_1 and an injection from onto A_2, but a is arbitrary and so A_1 and A_2 are the same.
CGandC
Homework Statement
We define the function ## G = \lambda A \in P(Y). f^{-1}[A] ## ,
Prove that for every ## X , Y ## and ## f \in X \rightarrow Y ## :
## G ## is Injective ##\iff ## ## f ## is onto ## Y ##.
Relevant Equations
-Familiarity with Lambda notation ( from lambda calculus )
- ## P(Y) ## is power-set of ## Y ##
My attempt:
## ( \rightarrow ) ## Suppose G is injective. Let ## y \in Y ## be arbitrary, denote A = ## \{ y \} ## so that ## G(A) = G(\{ y \}) = f^{-1}[\{ y \}] = \{ x \in X | f(x) \in \{ y \} \} =\{ x \in X | f(x)= y \} ##.
[ However, now I am stuck because I don't know if ## G(A)= \emptyset## and trying to assume it and find a contradiction also had me getting stuck. If I knew that ## G(A) \neq \emptyset ## I'm practically finished proving this side. Any ideas? ].

## ( \leftarrow ) ## Suppose ## f ## is onto ## Y ##. Let ## A_1 , A_2 \in P(Y) ## be arbitrary. Suppose ## G(A_1) = G(A_2) ## , meaning ## \{ x \in X | f(x) \in A_1 \} = \{ x \in X | f(x) \in A_2 \} ##
[ I'm kinda lost, how do I use the assumption that f is onto in order to continue? ]

Thanks in Advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the injective direction, what is ##G(\emptyset)##? What does that say about ##G(\{y\})##?

For the other direction, if ##f^{-1}(A_1)=f^{-1}(A_2)##, let ##a\in A_1## be an element such that ##a\notin A_2##. What can you say about it?

Likes CGandC
Ok I think I understand better now after your guidance:
If ## Y = \emptyset ## then it is vacuously true that G is injective ## \iff ## f is onto Y ( If we assume G is injective then it is vacuously true that f is onto Y , and if we assume f is onto Y then it is vacuously true that G is injective ) .
Office_Shredder said:
For the injective direction, what is ##G(\emptyset)##? What does that say about ##G(\{y\})##?
Now Suppose ## Y \neq \emptyset ##.
Since ## f ## is a function ## G( \emptyset ) = f^{-1}[ \emptyset ] = \emptyset ##. If we assume ( in order to get contradiction ) ## G( \{ y \} ) = \emptyset ## then this implies ## \{ y \} = \emptyset ## . Cleary a contradiction since we have ## Y \neq \emptyset ##. Hence ## G(\{ y \}) \neq \emptyset ##.
Office_Shredder said:
For the other direction, if ##f^{-1}(A_1)=f^{-1}(A_2)##, let ##a\in A_1## be an element such that ##a\notin A_2##. What can you say about it?

Assuming ## a \in A_1 ## and ## a \notin A_2 ## then since ## f ## is onto ## Y ## there exists ## x \in X ## s.t. ## f(x) = a \in A_1 ## . Meaning ## x \in f^{-1}[A_1] ## and specifically ## f(x) = a \in A_2 ## ( since we assumed ##f^{-1}(A_1)=f^{-1}(A_2)## then ## x \in f^{-1}[A_1] ## also means ## x \in f^{-1}[A_2] ## and this means ## f(x) = a \in A_2 ## ). So we got a contradiction.
We very similarly contradict the assumption ## a \notin A_1 ## and ## a \in A_2 ##.
Hence we're left with ## a \in A_1 ## and ## a \in A_2 ##. And since ## a ## was arbitrary, ## A_1 = A_2 ## . Hence we just showed ## G ## is an injection.

Looks good!

What does it mean for a function to be injective?

A function is injective if each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the codomain. In other words, no two elements in the domain can map to the same element in the codomain.

What does it mean for a function to be onto?

A function is onto if every element in the codomain has at least one corresponding element in the domain that maps to it. In other words, the range of the function is equal to the codomain.

What is the relationship between injective and onto functions?

Injective and onto functions are two different properties that a function can have. A function can be both injective and onto, or it can be one but not the other. The two properties are related in that an injective function is also onto if the domain and codomain are the same set, and an onto function is also injective if the domain is a subset of the codomain.

How can I determine if a function is injective?

To determine if a function is injective, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at most once, then the function is injective.

How can I determine if a function is onto?

To determine if a function is onto, you can check if the range of the function is equal to the codomain. If every element in the codomain has at least one corresponding element in the domain, then the function is onto.