Showing that an infinite sum converges when a sign in the denominator is flipped

In summary: So the sum is ##< 2 \cdot \frac{\pi^2}{6}##.When n=1, ##\frac{1}{n^2-n/2}=2##, so ##\frac{2}{n^2}## works here and therefore for larger n. So the sum is ##< 2 \cdot \frac{\pi^2}{6}##.In summary, using the direct comparison test, we can show that ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2+n/2}## converges. However, when trying to show convergence for ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\
Mr Davis 97
##\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2+n/2}## converges by the direct comparison test: ##\displaystyle \left|\frac{1}{n^2+n/2}\right| \le \left|\frac{1}{n^2}\right|##, and ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}##.

But what if we want to show that ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2-n/2}## converges? It doesn't seem like we can use the direct comparison test anymore. Also, the ratio test is inconclusive.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write ##n^2-\frac{n}{2}## as ##k^2 - c > m^2## and bound the sum as some finite start sequence plus ##\sum \frac{1}{m^2}\,.##

##|\frac{1}{n^2-n/2}|\le \frac{2}{n^2}## will do.

mathman said:
##|\frac{1}{n^2-n/2}|\le \frac{2}{n^2}## will do.
How did you find that? I can see why it's true, but I don't see how I'd spot it: $$n^2\ge n \implies 2n^2 - n \ge n^2 \implies 2(n^2 - n/2) \ge n^2 \implies \frac{2}{n^2} \ge \frac{1}{n^2-n/2}$$.

Basically I'm trying to make sure I know how to find upper bounds on expressions that can't obviously be bounded above. When the sign is positive is easy to see, but it doesn't seem immediate when the sign is negative.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Basically I'm trying to make sure I know how to find upper bounds on expressions that can't obviously be bounded above. When the sign is positive is easy to see, but it doesn't seem immediate when the sign is negative.
Of course I don't know what @mathman thought. But a closer look on the summands show that they go with ##O(\frac{1}{n^2})## and some minor changes cannot change this general behavior. Now ##O(\frac{1}{n^2})## means ##< c \cdot \frac{1}{n^2}## so it's very natural to simply increase ##c##. I would probably have chosen ##c=100## to avoid counting low values of ##n## and to emphasize, that it doesn't matter how big ##c## is as long as it is a constant - if I only had seen this possibility as fast.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Maybe also partial fractions?

Mr Davis 97 said:
##\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2+n/2}## converges by the direct comparison test: ##\displaystyle \left|\frac{1}{n^2+n/2}\right| \le \left|\frac{1}{n^2}\right|##, and ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}##.

But what if we want to show that ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{n^2-n/2}## converges? It doesn't seem like we can use the direct comparison test anymore. Also, the ratio test is inconclusive.

Another idea is to just bound the tails of your series (i.e. you can always ignore finitely many terms for convergence questions). So
##(n-k)^2 \lt n^2 - \frac{n}{2}##

for ##n## large enough (i.e. all ##n \geq N##) and suitable choice of natural number ##k \lt N##. You can choose exact values if you desire by expanding to get

##(n-k)^2 = n^2 - 2nk + k^2 \lt n^2 - \frac{n}{2}##
re-arranging gives
## 0\lt -k^2 + 2nk - \frac{n}{2} = -k^2 + \frac{4nk -n}{2}= -k^2 + \frac{n(4k -1)}{2} ##

qualitatively you need to recognize that ##k## is fixed (you choose it) and ##n## monotonically increases the value of the RHS, so it is easily positive (and easy to find an ##N## if you must).

now take advantage of positivity, invert
##(n-k)^2 \lt n^2 - \frac{n}{2}##
to get

##0\lt \frac{1}{n^2 - \frac{n}{2}}\lt \frac{1}{(n-k)^2}##

summing over the bound:

$$0 \lt \sum_{n\geq N} \frac{1}{n^2 - \frac{n}{2}}\leq \sum_{n\geq N} \frac{1}{(n-k)^2}= \sum_{n\geq (N-k)} \frac{1}{n^2} \leq \sum_{n \geq 1} \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6} \lt \infty $$

where the RHS comes from recognizing that ##k## exists to downshift your summation.

- - - -
in general repeat for
##(n-k)^2 \leq \beta n^2 + \alpha n + c##
- - - -

edit: this may be close to what Fresh had in mind for post ##2##

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Maybe also partial fractions?
Kind of weird what you get here:

## 2( \frac {2}{2n-1}- \frac {1}{n}) ## , so, since this was shown to converge, it seems we get that the sum of the odd terms in the harmonic series minus the even ones converges. But we knew this, that the alternating sum ## \Sigma (-1)^n/n ## converges.

WWGD said:
Kind of weird what you get here:

## 2( \frac {2}{2n-1}- \frac {1}{n}) ## , so, since this was shown to converge, it seems we get that the sum of the odd terms in the harmonic series minus the even ones converges. But we knew this, that the alternating sum ## \Sigma (-1)^n/n ## converges.
But we do not know, whether this is still true with the ##2## in the nominator of all odd indices.

fresh_42 said:
But we do not know, whether this is still true with the ##2## in the nominator of all odd indices.
Why not, this is just a rescaling. If the sum is finite, then so is twice the sum., isn't it?

fresh_42 said:
Just rewrite:

##\Sigma 4( \frac {1}{2n-1} - \frac {1}{4n} ) ##

Likes fresh_42
Mr Davis 97 said:
How did you find that? I can see why it's true, but I don't see how I'd spot it:
When n=1, ##\frac{1}{n^2-n/2}=2##, so ##\frac{2}{n^2}## works here and therefore for larger n.

1. What is an infinite sum?

An infinite sum is a mathematical concept that involves adding an infinite number of terms together. It is denoted by the symbol ∑ and is also known as a series.

2. How do you determine if an infinite sum converges?

To determine if an infinite sum converges, you can use different convergence tests, such as the ratio test, the comparison test, or the integral test. These tests help to determine if the sum approaches a finite number or diverges to infinity.

3. Why is flipping the sign in the denominator important in showing convergence?

Flipping the sign in the denominator is important because it can change the behavior of the infinite sum. In some cases, it can lead to the sum converging instead of diverging, making it easier to prove convergence.

4. Can flipping the sign in the denominator always prove convergence?

No, flipping the sign in the denominator does not always guarantee convergence. It is important to use other convergence tests and mathematical techniques to support the claim of convergence.

5. Are there any real-world applications for showing that an infinite sum converges when a sign in the denominator is flipped?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for this concept. For example, it can be used in electrical engineering to analyze alternating current circuits, in physics to study the behavior of waves, and in finance to calculate interest rates. Understanding the convergence of infinite sums is essential in many scientific fields.