Infinite series involving 'x' has a constant value

In summary, the sum of the first $n$ terms of the series is $1 - \frac1{2^n}\prod_{k=1}^n\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^k}\right)$.
SatyaDas
How to prove that \[ \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^{3i}}\left(\csc^{2}\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^{i}}\right)+1\right)\sec^{2}\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^{i}}\right)\sin^{2}\left(\pi x\right)=1 \] for all \( x\in\mathbb{R} \).
Using graph, we can see that the value of this series is 1 for all values of x.
[DESMOS]{"version":7,"graph":{"viewport":{"xmin":-2.7634114187202106,"ymin":-4.543149781969371,"xmax":17.23658858127979,"ymax":8.437278166514556}},"randomSeed":"2ce535cd8c2a6f2ce21bf7669d621391","expressions":{"list":[{"type":"expression","id":"1","color":"#c74440","latex":"\\sum_{i=1}^{N}\\frac{1}{2^{3i}}\\left(\\csc^{2}\\left(\\frac{\\pi x}{2^{i}}\\right)+1\\right)\\sec^{2}\\left(\\frac{\\pi x}{2^{i}}\\right)\\sin^{2}\\left(\\pi x\\right)"},{"type":"text","id":"4","text":"N substitutes for infinity. Use slider to change value."},{"type":"expression","id":"3","color":"#388c46","latex":"N=9","hidden":true,"slider":{"hardMin":true,"hardMax":true,"min":"1","max":"20","step":"1"}},{"type":"expression","id":"2","color":"#2d70b3"}]}}[/DESMOS]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the result $\sin x = 2\sin\frac x2\cos\frac x2$ repeatedly to see that $$\begin{aligned}\sin^2(\pi x) &= 2^2\sin^2\left(\frac{\pi x}2\right)\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}2\right) \\ &= 2^4\sin^2\left(\frac{\pi x}4\right)\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}4\right)\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}2\right) \\ & \vdots \\ &= 2^{2k}\sin^2\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^k}\right) \prod_{i=1}^k \cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^i}\right) .\end{aligned}$$ You can then write the $k$th term of the series as $$\frac1{2^{3k}}\left(\csc^{2}\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^{k}}\right)+1\right)\sec^{2}\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^{k}}\right)\sin^{2}\left(\pi x\right) = \frac1{2^k} \left(1 + \sin^{2}\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^{k}}\right) \right)\prod_{i=1}^{k-1} \cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^i}\right) .$$ Using that, you should be able to show by induction that the sum of the first $n$ terms of the series is $$S_n(x) = \sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{2^{3k}}\left(\csc^{2}\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^{k}}\right)+1\right)\sec^{2}\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^{k}}\right)\sin^{2}\left(\pi x\right) = 1 - \frac1{2^n}\prod_{k=1}^n\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}{2^k}\right) .$$ That product of cosines lies between $0$ and $1$. It follows that $S_n(x)$ lies between $1 - \dfrac1{2^n}$ and $1$ for all $x$. Thus $S_n(x)$ converges (uniformly) to the constant function $1$.

Great. Thanks.
How did you find the value of \( S_{n} \)?

Satya said:
How did you find the value of \( S_{n} \)?
It's obvious from the graph at #1 that $S_n(x)$ increases very rapidly to $1$ as $n$ increases. So it seemed helpful to write $S_n(x)$ in the form $1$ - ?. I found that $$S_1(x) = 1 - \frac12\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}2\right),$$ $$S_2(x) = 1 - \frac14\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}4\right)\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}2\right),$$ $$S_3(x) = 1 - \frac18\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}8\right)\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}4\right)\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi x}2\right).$$ From there, it was easy enough to guess the general formula.

1. What is an infinite series involving 'x'?

An infinite series involving 'x' is a mathematical expression that contains an infinite number of terms, with each term containing the variable 'x'. The series can be written in the form of a sum, where each term is added to the previous term, and the value of 'x' remains constant throughout the series.

2. How is the constant value of an infinite series involving 'x' determined?

The constant value of an infinite series involving 'x' is determined by evaluating the series at a specific value of 'x'. This can be done by substituting the value of 'x' into the series and adding up all the terms. The result will be the constant value of the series.

3. Can an infinite series involving 'x' have multiple constant values?

No, an infinite series involving 'x' can only have one constant value. This is because the value of 'x' remains constant throughout the series, and any change in the value of 'x' will result in a different constant value for the series.

4. How is the convergence of an infinite series involving 'x' determined?

The convergence of an infinite series involving 'x' can be determined using various mathematical tests, such as the ratio test or the comparison test. These tests analyze the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases and determine if the series converges (approaches a constant value) or diverges (does not approach a constant value).

5. What are some real-world applications of infinite series involving 'x'?

Infinite series involving 'x' have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the behavior of electrical circuits, the growth of populations, and the value of investments over time. They are also used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.