1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHowing that conservation of Energy is related to Newton's motion

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given: [itex]\frac{1}{2}m (\dot x)^2 + mg x = E[/itex]

Gravitational force is mg.

We need to show that by solving this DE that we can confirm that the conservation of energy correctly describes one-dimensional motion (the motion in a uniform field). That is, that the same motion is obtained as predicted by Newton' equation of motion.

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt was as follows:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}m\dot x + mg x = E[/itex] so by moving things around a bit I can reduce this to

[itex](\dot x)^2 = \frac{2(E - mgx)}{m}[/itex]

and from there I can solve the DE:

[itex]\dot x = \sqrt{\frac{2(E - mgx)}{m}} \Rightarrow \int dx =\int \sqrt{\frac{2(E - mgx)}{m}}dt[/itex]

from there I can move some variables some more:

[itex]\frac{\sqrt{m}}{\sqrt{E-mgx}} \int dx = \int \sqrt{2}dt \Rightarrow \sqrt{m} \int \frac{dx}{{\sqrt{E-mgx}}} = \int \sqrt{2}dt[/itex]

trying a u substitution where [itex]u=\sqrt{E-mgx}[/itex] and [itex]du = -mgdx[/itex] I should have [itex]\frac{\sqrt{m}}{mg} \int \frac{du}{{\sqrt{u}}} = \int \sqrt{2}dt[/itex] which gets me to [itex]\frac{\sqrt{m}}{mg} \sqrt{u} + c = \sqrt{2}t[/itex]

going back to what I substituted for u I have:
    [itex]\frac{\sqrt{m}}{mg} \sqrt{E-mgx} + c = \sqrt{2}t[/itex]

and when I do the algebra I get (after moving the c over and squaring both sides):

[itex]\frac{m}{m^2g^2}{E-mgx} = {2}t^2 - 2\sqrt{2}c+ c^2[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{E}{mg^2}-\frac{x}{mg} = {2}t^2 - 2\sqrt{2}c+ c^2[/itex]
    [itex]-\frac{x}{mg} =-\frac{E}{mg^2}+ {2}t^2 - 2\sqrt{2}ct+ c^2[/itex]
    [itex]x(t) =\frac{E}{g}- 2mgt^2 + 2\sqrt{2}mgct- c^2mg[/itex]

I am unsure of the last step. I see something that looks like an equation of motion there -- and since [itex]gt = v = \dot x[/itex] I can see that term, and [itex]gt^2 = x[/itex]. But I am not quite clear on what to do with the energy term.

I know, I know, don't just plug in formulas. But I presume that the prof gave us the instructions he did for a reason and it wasn't just to confuse us, though he has succeeded in that regard. :-)

Anyhow, any assistance is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Emspak! :smile:

hmm … you want …
    sooo you want an equation with x'' in it

hint: what's the most obvious way of getting x'' out of the original equation? :wink:

4. Oct 14, 2013 #3
    But.. I did that, I came up with a solution for the DE. It's x(t). mg = force, int he solution I got, and I suppose I could rewrite the solution as [itex]x(t) = \frac{E}{g}- 2m \ddot x t^2+ 2\sqrt{2}\dot x = c^2mg[/tex]. But I am still not sure about this.

5. Oct 14, 2013 #4
    But.. I did that, I came up with a solution for the DE. It's x(t). mg = force, int he solution I got, and I suppose I could rewrite the solution as [itex]x(t) = \frac{E}{g}- 2m \ddot x t^2+ 2\sqrt{2}\dot x - c^2mg[/itex]. But I am still not sure about this.

6. Oct 14, 2013 #5
    sorry for doubling up...

7. Oct 14, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, you started with x' and x, and you eliminated x' (by integrating)

try getting to something with x'' x' and x :smile:

8. Oct 14, 2013 #7
    is this what you are referring to? You're being a bit cryptic...

[itex]x(t) = \frac{E}{g}- 2m \ddot x t^2+ 2\sqrt{2}\dot x - c^2m\ddot x [/itex] which becomes

[itex]x(t) = \frac{E}{g}- (2m-mc^2) \ddot x t^2+ 2\sqrt{2}\dot x[/itex]

[itex]x(t) = \frac{E}{g}- m(2-c^2) \ddot x t^2+ 2\sqrt{2}\dot x[/itex]

EDIT: looking at this I can see the energy term could be moved over and you'd end up with Energy = equation of motion. Is that what we are after here ?

9. Oct 14, 2013 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

d/dt (1/2 mx'2) = mx'x'' :wink:

10. Oct 14, 2013 #9
    (sigh) that isn't helping much, there are no x'x'' terms in the equation as I re-wrote it. I am not at all clear on how that derivative is helpful, unless you are alluding to something that should happen in the E term.

11. Oct 14, 2013 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

try differentiating the whole original equation …

12. Oct 14, 2013 #11
    How about this: when you talk about getting x out of the equation where in the derivation I did should that be happening? Did I do the whole bloody thing wrong or what? Or was I correct that there's a last step here? If I plug a KE equation in for E I would have [itex] \frac{m(gt)^2}{g} [/itex] there. But I suspect that is not what you are taking about doing.

13. Oct 14, 2013 #12
    OK, at that point I end up with [itex] m \dot x \ddot x + mg \dot x = 0[/itex], yes?

14. Oct 14, 2013 #13

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yup! :smile:

and now divide by x' :wink:

15. Oct 14, 2013 #14
    OK, we can do that because it would show up on both sides, right? [itex]m \ddot x = -mg[/itex]. Now since g was the acceleration (earth's gravity) and we have [itex]\ddot x[/itex] in the same place we've just shown that the equation of motion works here, or at least that in a 1-D case in a field that it does, correct?

16. Oct 14, 2013 #15

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

correct! :smile:

(and if you divide by m, you get x'' = -g, exactly as newton would have said)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted