Relativistic particle moving in a potential

PhysicsRock
Homework Statement
Consider a relativistic particle of mass ##m_0## in ##(1+1)##-spacetime dimensions. In an inertial frame of reference with spacetime coordinates ##(t,x)##, we define the potential as ##V(x) = \alpha x## with ##\alpha > 0##. The particle is at rest at time ##t=0## and it's position is ##x(0) = 0##. Determine the trajectory ##x(t)## of the particle.
Hint: Use the conservation of total energy.
Relevant Equations
##E_\text{tot} = \sqrt{ c^2 p^2 + m_0^2 c^4 } + \alpha x##
Since energy is conserved and the particle is initially at rest, we can determine that ##E(0) = m_0 c^2##, so

$$
m_0 c^2 = \sqrt{ c^2 p^2 + m_0^2 c^4 } + \alpha x.
$$

Squaring this eqation gives

$$
m_0^2 c^4 = \alpha^2 x^2 + c^2 p^2 + m_0^2 c^4 + 2 \alpha x \sqrt{ c^2 p^2 + m_0^2 c^4 }
\Rightarrow 0 = \alpha^2 x^2 + c^2 p^2 + 2 \alpha x ( E - \alpha x ).
$$

Using ##p = \gamma m_0 \dot{x}##, I was able to simplify this equation to

$$
0 = -\alpha^2 x^2 + \frac{E^2 \dot{x}^2}{c^2 - \dot{x}^2} + 2 \alpha E x
$$

This is the point where I'm stuck. I have doubled checked and I'm pretty sure that this final expression is correct, however, I cannot guarantee that it actually is. If it is, I have no clue how to solve this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsRock said:
$$0 = -\alpha^2 x^2 + \frac{E^2 \dot{x}^2}{c^2 - \dot{x}^2} + 2 \alpha E x$$
This expression is correct, and can be solved via integration using the following steps:
  1. Solve for ##\dot{x}## to get the form ##\dot{x}\equiv\frac{dx}{dt}=f\left(x\right)##.
  2. Rewrite this as ##\frac{dx}{f\left(x\right)}=dt##.
  3. Integrate both sides.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, PhysicsRock, topsquark and 1 other person
renormalize said:
This expression is correct, and can be solved via integration using the following steps:
  1. Solve for ##\dot{x}## to get the form ##\dot{x}\equiv\frac{dx}{dt}=f\left(x\right)##.
  2. Rewrite this as ##\frac{dx}{f\left(x\right)}=dt##.
  3. Integrate both sides.
Thank you for the hint. I'll try to solve it.

1. How does the potential affect the motion of a relativistic particle?

The potential affects the motion of a relativistic particle by influencing its energy and momentum. A particle moving in a potential will experience changes in its speed and direction as it interacts with the potential field.

2. What is the relativistic energy of a particle moving in a potential?

The relativistic energy of a particle moving in a potential is given by the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. This energy can be calculated using the relativistic energy-momentum relation, taking into account the particle's mass, velocity, and the potential it is moving in.

3. How does the relativistic mass of a particle change in a potential?

The relativistic mass of a particle moving in a potential can change due to the interaction with the potential field. As the particle gains energy from the potential, its mass may increase, leading to changes in its momentum and velocity.

4. What is the equation of motion for a relativistic particle in a potential?

The equation of motion for a relativistic particle in a potential can be derived from the relativistic energy-momentum relation and the potential energy function. By applying the principles of classical mechanics and relativity, one can obtain the equations that describe the particle's trajectory and dynamics in the potential field.

5. How does the relativistic nature of a particle affect its behavior in a potential?

The relativistic nature of a particle influences its behavior in a potential by introducing effects such as time dilation, length contraction, and relativistic momentum. These factors can alter the particle's motion, making its behavior distinct from that predicted by classical mechanics when moving in a potential field.