Shrødinger equation & electrons jumping between atoms

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of using the Shrødinger equation to show the probability distribution of an electron when it moves between atoms in a circuit. The answer is that it is possible in principle, but not in practice. The suggestion is made to study solid state physics and learn about valence and conduction bands. The speaker is curious about how an electron moves inside a wire and wonders if the Shrødinger equation can provide a clearer view of its movement. A brief article on valence and conduction bands is recommended as a starting point for further research. There is also a mention of using a tight binding model to analyze the situation, but the Hamiltonian may not resemble a typical position space Hamiltonian.
johann1301h
(I have very little training in Quantum mechanics)

Can the Shrødinger equation show the probability distribution of the electron when it jumps from one atom to another, like in a circuit f ex.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Does a yes or no answer to this really help you ? Mine would be: in principle yes but in practice not. Better to study solid state physics and learn about valence bands and conduction bands is my guess.

What do you have in mind ?

Likes berkeman
I guess I'm curious to how an electron actually moves inside a wire, and I know we can't know exactly where it is, but I guessed you could make a simulation on how the probability distribution for one electron changes along the wire/along a grid of atoms... And if the scrødinger equation can tell you the distribution given any surrounding state of the electron (other electrons, and protons), I figured it is actually possible to get a clearer view of how the electron moves...

Depends on your definition of the Schroedinger equation. You can certainly analyze this with a tight binding model but the Hamiltonian won’t really resemble your ordinary position space Hamiltonian.

What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It is used to predict the behavior of particles, such as electrons, in a quantum system.

How does the Schrödinger equation relate to electrons jumping between atoms?

The Schrödinger equation is used to describe the wave-like behavior of electrons in an atom. This wave-like behavior allows electrons to exist in multiple energy states and to jump between different energy levels, or orbitals, within an atom.

What does it mean when an electron jumps between atoms?

When an electron jumps between atoms, it is moving from one energy level to another. This can happen when the electron absorbs or releases energy, such as through the absorption or emission of light.

Can the Schrödinger equation accurately predict the exact location of an electron?

No, the Schrödinger equation can only predict the probability of finding an electron in a certain location. This is because electrons exhibit wave-like behavior and their exact location cannot be determined at any given time.

Why is the Schrödinger equation important in understanding the behavior of matter?

The Schrödinger equation is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of matter on a quantum level. This is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles, such as electrons, which make up all matter in the universe.