Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shrodinger's Waves, and Heisenberg's Matrices

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    It's my understanding that there is a direct correspondence between Schrodinger's wave equation and Heisenberg's matrix representations. I've always wanted to understand this equivalence but never really took the time to look into it.

I'm just now getting back into re-learning Matrix or Linear Algebra, and I would like to learn how this fits in with Schrodinger's wave equation. Are there any good resources that address this specific issue? Especially showing introductory level problems that make a good correspondence between Schrodinger's equation and Matrix Algebra as Heisenberg was using it?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Basically, it all boils down to chosing a basis set to express the wave functions, after which wave functions become vectors and operators matrices.

A good introduction can be found in the quantum mechanics book by C. Cohen-Tannoudji et al., chapter II.

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    Thanks DrClaude,

I'll see if I can find a copy of that book at my college library.

By the way that book is two volumes. Can you tell me whether that's chapter II of volume I or volume II? I might need to order it via inter-library loan. So I'd like to make sure I get the right book.

Thanks

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It's in volume I.

6. Mar 11, 2013 #5
    That's encouraging since he's doing this right off the bat at the beginning of his book in chapter II. I think I'm going to like this guy's style.

So thank you very much for the reference. I truly appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook