Sicilian coffee in the "Inspector Montalbano" TV series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Messages
7,864
Reaction score
1,605
In the "Inspector Montalbano" TV Series, the characters often drink coffee in small cups and it is poured from a small silver colored container. I've read on the internet that typical Sicilian coffee is expresso. Is the series consistent with that? Do homes in Sicily usually have expresso mahines? Or is there a way to make an expresso type coffee in a small silver colored container?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am unfamiliar with the series, but it sounds like a moka pot. A Venetian introduced me to them.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stephen Tashi
coffeepot.png


Is this what you mean?

That's not a moka pot. It's a stovetop pot that produces a kind of drip coffee. You flip it over so it's called a flip pot or Neopolitan pot or something like that. I've never used them but I've seen photos.

My understanding of coffee in Italy is that people just go to the corner coffee shop for a shot of espresso. Home espresso machines aren't that common. At home people use moka pots (or maybe pod machines have made inroads more recently?). But I might be wrong.
 
JT Smith said:
Is this what you mean?
No. I'm thinking of the pot Montalbano uses when he makes coffee at his home. A lot of the homes he visits use the same kind of pot as Montalbano's.

However, the monarchist lady's Neopolitan pot is interesting. I myself always make drip coffee.