Sicilian coffee in the "Inspector Montalbano" TV series

In summary: I use a French press for my espresso, but I suppose a moka pot or a pod machine could be used for that, too.In summary, Italian coffee is typically espresso, but there are other types of coffee that can be made in a small silver colored container at home using a moka pot or pod machine.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In the "Inspector Montalbano" TV Series, the characters often drink coffee in small cups and it is poured from a small silver colored container. I've read on the internet that typical Sicilian coffee is expresso. Is the series consistent with that? Do homes in Sicily usually have expresso mahines? Or is there a way to make an expresso type coffee in a small silver colored container?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am unfamiliar with the series, but it sounds like a moka pot. A Venetian introduced me to them.

Last edited:
Likes Stephen Tashi
Likes Stephen Tashi
DrClaude said:
I guess this is a stove-top espresso maker (also called moka pot, as @Frabjous mentioned), such as
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AN3QI/?tag=pfamazon01-20

(If you look at the pictures in that link, you will see how coffee is made using one.)
I am paranoid about aluminum cookware, so I get the stainless steel version.

coffeepot.png

Is this what you mean?

That's not a moka pot. It's a stovetop pot that produces a kind of drip coffee. You flip it over so it's called a flip pot or Neopolitan pot or something like that. I've never used them but I've seen photos.

My understanding of coffee in Italy is that people just go to the corner coffee shop for a shot of espresso. Home espresso machines aren't that common. At home people use moka pots (or maybe pod machines have made inroads more recently?). But I might be wrong.

JT Smith said:
Is this what you mean?
No. I'm thinking of the pot Montalbano uses when he makes coffee at his home. A lot of the homes he visits use the same kind of pot as Montalbano's.

However, the monarchist lady's Neopolitan pot is interesting. I myself always make drip coffee.

1. What is "Sicilian coffee" in the "Inspector Montalbano" TV series?

"Sicilian coffee" in the "Inspector Montalbano" TV series refers to the traditional way of making coffee in Sicily, Italy. It involves using a stovetop espresso maker, also known as a moka pot, to brew strong and flavorful coffee.

2. Why is "Sicilian coffee" important in the series?

"Sicilian coffee" is important in the series because it is a significant part of the culture and daily life in Sicily. It is often used as a way for characters to bond and share conversations, and it also represents the slow and relaxed pace of life in the region.

3. How is "Sicilian coffee" different from other types of coffee?

"Sicilian coffee" is different from other types of coffee because of the way it is brewed. It is made using a moka pot, which produces a strong and concentrated coffee with a rich flavor. It is also typically served in small cups and is often enjoyed with a touch of sugar.

4. Is "Sicilian coffee" only popular in Sicily?

No, "Sicilian coffee" is not only popular in Sicily. It is also a beloved drink in other regions of Italy, such as Calabria and Campania. It has also gained popularity in other parts of the world, thanks to the spread of Italian culture and cuisine.

5. Does "Sicilian coffee" play a symbolic role in the series?

Yes, "Sicilian coffee" can be seen as a symbolic element in the series. It represents the strong and passionate nature of the Sicilian people, as well as the importance of tradition and community. It also serves as a reminder of the beauty and simplicity of everyday life in Sicily.