Sig Figs in Chemistry: Calculate Mass of O2 from Gasoline

• Thread starter ilii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, to calculate the mass of oxygen required to completely combust 500.0g of gasoline containing only octane, you can use the equation 2C(8)H(18) +25O(2) = 16CO(2) +18H(2)O and follow these steps: i) Convert 500.0g of gasoline to moles of octane ii) Use stoichiometry to determine the number of moles of oxygen needed iii) Convert the moles of oxygen to grams iv) Round the final answer to 4 significant figures. It is important to use the initial value of 500.0g throughout all calculations and to report all numbers to 4
ilii

Homework Statement

Calculate what mass of oxygen is required to completely combust 500.0g of gasoline. Assume that the gasoline contains only octane.[/B]

Homework Equations

My problem is... I don't know WHEN to apply sig figs. If this is a multi-step problem (i to iv in this case), do I apply sig figs starting in i)? if I do, then all of my future answers will be influenced by using sig figs early on. When I get to iv) I don't know if all my digits are OK or if they're all way off. Can someone please clean the sig figs up a bit and tell me when I need to apply them? thank you!

The Attempt at a Solution

i) 2C(8)H(18) +25O(2) = 16CO(2) +18H(2)O

ii) 500.0g/114.22852 = 4.377 mol of C(8)H18)

iii) z=4.377 *25/2
z=54.71488206 mol
z=55 mol of O(2)

iv) m(O(2))=55mol*31.9988g/mol
m(O(2))=1759.934 g[/B]
m(O(2))=1760 g

Physics news on Phys.org
Do all calculations using full precision. Just the numbers you report should be rounded down.

As the initial value has 4 sigfigs, all your results should be reported to 4 sigfigs as well (hence 54.71 moles of oxygen, and not 55 moles).

ok, so you're saying that the initial 500.0 stems down through the entire series of steps to the question and 4 sig figs will always be required?

Last edited:
As it is the only number here - yes.

(That is - there are other numbers, like molar masses, but we typically know them with much higher accuracy).

ok thank you very helpful!

1. What are significant figures and why are they important in chemistry?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that carry meaning and contribute to the precision of a measurement. They are important in chemistry because they help to accurately represent the level of precision in experimental data and calculations.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The rules for determining significant figures are as follows:

• All non-zero digits are significant.
  • Any zeros between two significant digits are significant.
  • Trailing zeros after a decimal point are significant.
  • Leading zeros before a non-zero digit are not significant.

3. How many significant figures should I use in my calculation for the mass of O2 from gasoline?

The number of significant figures in your calculation should match the number of significant figures in the data given. In this case, the mass of O2 and gasoline should have the same number of significant figures.

4. What is the purpose of using significant figures when calculating the mass of O2 from gasoline?

Using significant figures helps to ensure that the final result of a calculation is not more precise than the original data. This is important in chemistry because it reflects the level of certainty in the measurement and helps to avoid false confidence in the results.

5. Can I round my final answer for the mass of O2 to the nearest whole number?

It is best to round your final answer to the same number of significant figures as the original data. In some cases, rounding to the nearest whole number may result in a loss of precision and accuracy in the final answer.