Calculating Moles of Fuel Burned with Volume Concentration

In summary: Actually, this is an experimental calculation I'm doing and it's not from a textbook of any kind. What I was doing was testing the efficiency of fuels by looking at the molar enthalpy of combustion as the percentage octane and ethanol changed.
FredericChopin

Homework Statement

"1.79 g of a fuel was burned in the presence of oxygen. The fuel is a composite of 90% octane and 10% ethanol. Calculate the number of moles of this fuel that was burned."

Homework Equations

Moles = Mass/Molar Mass

The Attempt at a Solution

90% of 1.79 g is 1.61 g. This was the mass of octane burned.
10% of 1.79 g is 0.18 g. This was the mass of ethanol burned.

Moles of octane = Mass of octane burned/Molar mass of octane
Moles of octane = 1.61/(8*C + 18*H)
Moles of octane = 1.61/(8*12 + 18*1)
Moles of octane = 1.61/(96 + 18)
Moles of octane = 1.61/114
Moles of octane = 0.014 mol

Moles of ethanol = Mass of ethanol burned/Molar mass of ethanol
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(2*C + 6*H + O)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(2*12 + 6*1 + 16)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(24 + 6 + 16)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/46
Moles of ethanol = 0.0039 mol

Total moles burned = Moles of octane burned + Moles of ethanol burned
Total moles burned = 0.014 + 0.0039
Total moles burned = 0.018 mol

Therefore 0.018 moles of the fuel was burned.

Have I done this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
FredericChopin said:

Homework Statement

"1.79 g of a fuel was burned in the presence of oxygen. The fuel is a composite of 90% octane and 10% ethanol. Calculate the number of moles of this fuel that was burned."

Homework Equations

Moles = Mass/Molar Mass

The Attempt at a Solution

90% of 1.79 g is 1.61 g. This was the mass of octane burned.
10% of 1.79 g is 0.18 g. This was the mass of ethanol burned.

Moles of octane = Mass of octane burned/Molar mass of octane
Moles of octane = 1.61/(8*C + 18*H)
Moles of octane = 1.61/(8*12 + 18*1)
Moles of octane = 1.61/(96 + 18)
Moles of octane = 1.61/114
Moles of octane = 0.014 mol

Moles of ethanol = Mass of ethanol burned/Molar mass of ethanol
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(2*C + 6*H + O)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(2*12 + 6*1 + 16)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(24 + 6 + 16)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/46
Moles of ethanol = 0.0039 mol

Total moles burned = Moles of octane burned + Moles of ethanol burned
Total moles burned = 0.014 + 0.0039
Total moles burned = 0.018 mol

Therefore 0.018 moles of the fuel was burned.

Have I done this correctly?

Looks OK to me. :thumbs:

Pranav-Arora said:
Looks OK to me. :thumbs:

I still have the feeling I've done this wrong because saying the fuel is made of 90% octane doesn't mean that 90% of its mass comes from octane.

It's like looking at a compound made of (for the sake of argument) hydrogen and lead, and that compound was 90% hydrogen and 10% lead. Does that mean 90% of its mass comes from hydrogen? Definitely not! Lead is way heavier than hydrogen, even if it makes up 10% of its content.

What do you think?

FredericChopin said:

I still have the feeling I've done this wrong because saying the fuel is made of 90% octane doesn't mean that 90% of its mass comes from octane.

It's like looking at a compound made of (for the sake of argument) hydrogen and lead, and that compound was 90% hydrogen and 10% lead. Does that mean 90% of its mass comes from hydrogen? Definitely not! Lead is way heavier than hydrogen, even if it makes up 10% of its content.

What do you think?

Well, I am no expert at all in this but usually, the problem should mention what kind of percentage is that? Is it w/w, w/v or v/v? I thought you are asked to assume that percentage is w/w. Does the book state this?

About the example you quote, I would say why not. If the percentage is w/w, then in a 100g of substance, 90g is hydrogen and 10g of lead. Did someone restrict you from using only 10g of lead?

Pranav-Arora said:
Well, I am no expert at all in this but usually, the problem should mention what kind of percentage is that? Is it w/w, w/v or v/v? I thought you are asked to assume that percentage is w/w. Does the book state this?

About the example you quote, I would say why not. If the percentage is w/w, then in a 100g of substance, 90g is hydrogen and 10g of lead. Did someone restrict you from using only 10g of lead?

Actually, this is an experimental calculation I'm doing and it's not from a textbook of any kind. What I was doing was testing the efficiency of fuels by looking at the molar enthalpy of combustion as the percentage octane and ethanol changed.

It says on the spirit burner "90% Octane 10% Ethanol", so I'm guessing that's volume concentration and not mass fraction or concentration (v/v). What would I do to calculate the number of moles of fuel burned in this case?

What is a mole in chemistry?

A mole in chemistry is a unit of measurement that represents the amount of a substance. It is defined as the amount of a substance that contains 6.022 x 10^23 particles, which is known as Avogadro's number. This number is equivalent to the number of atoms in 12 grams of carbon-12.

How do you calculate the number of moles?

The number of moles can be calculated by dividing the given mass of a substance by its molar mass. Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance and is usually expressed in grams per mole (g/mol). The formula for calculating moles is: moles = mass (g) / molar mass (g/mol).

What is the formula for converting moles to grams?

The formula for converting moles to grams is: mass (g) = moles x molar mass (g/mol). This formula is used when you have the number of moles of a substance and want to find its mass in grams.

How do you calculate the number of moles of a gas?

To calculate the number of moles of a gas, you can use the ideal gas law: PV = nRT. P represents pressure, V represents volume, n represents moles, R represents the gas constant, and T represents temperature. Rearranging the equation to solve for moles, you get n = (PV)/(RT). This formula is used when you have the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas and want to find the number of moles present.

What is the purpose of calculating moles in chemistry?

Calculating moles is important in chemistry because it allows us to accurately measure and compare the amounts of different substances in a reaction. It also helps in determining the mass of a given substance and in predicting the products of a chemical reaction. Moles are a fundamental unit in chemistry and are used in many calculations and equations.