Calculating Moles of Fuel Burned with Volume Concentration

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
FredericChopin
Messages
101
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


"1.79 g of a fuel was burned in the presence of oxygen. The fuel is a composite of 90% octane and 10% ethanol. Calculate the number of moles of this fuel that was burned."

Homework Equations


Moles = Mass/Molar Mass

The Attempt at a Solution


90% of 1.79 g is 1.61 g. This was the mass of octane burned.
10% of 1.79 g is 0.18 g. This was the mass of ethanol burned.

Moles of octane = Mass of octane burned/Molar mass of octane
Moles of octane = 1.61/(8*C + 18*H)
Moles of octane = 1.61/(8*12 + 18*1)
Moles of octane = 1.61/(96 + 18)
Moles of octane = 1.61/114
Moles of octane = 0.014 mol

Moles of ethanol = Mass of ethanol burned/Molar mass of ethanol
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(2*C + 6*H + O)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(2*12 + 6*1 + 16)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(24 + 6 + 16)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/46
Moles of ethanol = 0.0039 mol

Total moles burned = Moles of octane burned + Moles of ethanol burned
Total moles burned = 0.014 + 0.0039
Total moles burned = 0.018 mol

Therefore 0.018 moles of the fuel was burned.

Have I done this correctly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
FredericChopin said:

Homework Statement


"1.79 g of a fuel was burned in the presence of oxygen. The fuel is a composite of 90% octane and 10% ethanol. Calculate the number of moles of this fuel that was burned."


Homework Equations


Moles = Mass/Molar Mass




The Attempt at a Solution


90% of 1.79 g is 1.61 g. This was the mass of octane burned.
10% of 1.79 g is 0.18 g. This was the mass of ethanol burned.

Moles of octane = Mass of octane burned/Molar mass of octane
Moles of octane = 1.61/(8*C + 18*H)
Moles of octane = 1.61/(8*12 + 18*1)
Moles of octane = 1.61/(96 + 18)
Moles of octane = 1.61/114
Moles of octane = 0.014 mol

Moles of ethanol = Mass of ethanol burned/Molar mass of ethanol
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(2*C + 6*H + O)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(2*12 + 6*1 + 16)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/(24 + 6 + 16)
Moles of ethanol = 0.18/46
Moles of ethanol = 0.0039 mol

Total moles burned = Moles of octane burned + Moles of ethanol burned
Total moles burned = 0.014 + 0.0039
Total moles burned = 0.018 mol

Therefore 0.018 moles of the fuel was burned.

Have I done this correctly?


Looks OK to me. :thumbs:
 
Pranav-Arora said:
Looks OK to me. :thumbs:

I still have the feeling I've done this wrong because saying the fuel is made of 90% octane doesn't mean that 90% of its mass comes from octane.

It's like looking at a compound made of (for the sake of argument) hydrogen and lead, and that compound was 90% hydrogen and 10% lead. Does that mean 90% of its mass comes from hydrogen? Definitely not! Lead is way heavier than hydrogen, even if it makes up 10% of its content.

What do you think?
 
FredericChopin said:


I still have the feeling I've done this wrong because saying the fuel is made of 90% octane doesn't mean that 90% of its mass comes from octane.

It's like looking at a compound made of (for the sake of argument) hydrogen and lead, and that compound was 90% hydrogen and 10% lead. Does that mean 90% of its mass comes from hydrogen? Definitely not! Lead is way heavier than hydrogen, even if it makes up 10% of its content.

What do you think?


Well, I am no expert at all in this but usually, the problem should mention what kind of percentage is that? Is it w/w, w/v or v/v? I thought you are asked to assume that percentage is w/w. Does the book state this?

About the example you quote, I would say why not. If the percentage is w/w, then in a 100g of substance, 90g is hydrogen and 10g of lead. Did someone restrict you from using only 10g of lead?
 
Pranav-Arora said:
Well, I am no expert at all in this but usually, the problem should mention what kind of percentage is that? Is it w/w, w/v or v/v? I thought you are asked to assume that percentage is w/w. Does the book state this?

About the example you quote, I would say why not. If the percentage is w/w, then in a 100g of substance, 90g is hydrogen and 10g of lead. Did someone restrict you from using only 10g of lead?

Actually, this is an experimental calculation I'm doing and it's not from a textbook of any kind. What I was doing was testing the efficiency of fuels by looking at the molar enthalpy of combustion as the percentage octane and ethanol changed.

It says on the spirit burner "90% Octane 10% Ethanol", so I'm guessing that's volume concentration and not mass fraction or concentration (v/v). What would I do to calculate the number of moles of fuel burned in this case?